Scanning wav files
I'm looking for a way to scan wav files into the xbmc library. The scan skips over my wav files and I'm assuming that's because wav files have no id information. However, I use itunes to manage my songs, which automatically organizes the songs into artist folders with album subfolders. Is there a way to have the scan recognize the folder names in order to import the songs contained in those folders into the xbmc library?

Another alternative could be to use the itunes library file, which separately has all of the id information for each song, including the wav format songs. Is there a way to import songs into the xbmc library using the itunes library file?
Nope, you're out of luck using XBMC's builtin library support - it relies on having tags, which as you point out WAV files don't have.

You could probably use the iTunes plugin to scan stuff in. Scan the "Songs" entry.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

or the best option which obviously is 3) stop using silly file formats.
I'm not sure what you mean by silly, but I use wav formats because that is the raw audio format. I have a high end audio system and am somewhat anal about listening to raw audio as opposed to compressed audio whenever possible. Itunes' ability to save tag information for wav files is pretty much the main reason I went with the apple tv. I just hate that the apple tv interface requires you to sync and copy all media to the local apple tv hard drive since syncing is really finicky, time consuming, and should be unnecessary since all of my media is already stored on a network drive.

With respect to the itunes plugin, it doesn't work for me. When I click on the import option, a window opens for a second and then closes without anything being imported. Regardless, I'm not even sure the plugin is the right option for me if it can't link xbmc as a stand alone player directly to my media on my network drive.

Simply put, I am just looking to be able to access all of my music, including the raw audio wav format music, on my network drive in the xbmc library mode. The library mode is important to me because it allows me to use my iphone remote to browse by artist, album, etc. Would I be able to achieve this with the itunes plugin (assuming I could get it to work)? Is there any other way I could achieve this?
Use flac
Or ALAC which iTunes will compress for ya. I'm sure we support that as well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scanning wav files0