Running Boxee and XBMC on a minimal Karmic install
So, when you exit out of XBMC (choosing Exit XBMC from the menu) what does it leave you with onscreen?

From XCI's script, it looks like they are using plain old X as their window manager, the default Ubuntu Windows Manager, however, I am not sure if there is a Desktop Manager included and I couldn't see how they get XBMC to start on boot (I only skim read the file). I am guessing this is your problem. Their script isn't set up to run any other programs other than XBMC, so running Boxee as well can cause problems.

I'm afraid you need to ask Team XCI for support here, since they created the script (and in essence the Distro you are using) thus they know how to customise. The set up the Windows Manager (X) in a certain way and so they know how to use it.

Sorry I can't be more help than that, but I don't know that much about Ubuntu, only what I have messed around with.
Thanks for the help prupert. I will run this by the XCI guys and see what they say.

One question I had was is it possible to launch boxee from within xbmc? The ASRock 330 Ion machine I'm using is fairly powerful and I think would be able to handle running them both at the same time.
There is a launcher script floating around that is meant to be able to launch any program from within XBMC, but I could never get it to work, I think it was called launcher, or somethign along those lines.

In theory running Boxee via XBMC shouldn't be a problem but once again, it is down to how the Windows Manager is configured to allow this...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Boxee and XBMC on a minimal Karmic install0