Return to "now playing" media, MCE remote?
I feel like a goof ball asking what must be a simple question but, alas, here goes...

I have just started with XBMC and I'm "sort of" using an MCE remote to control it. By that I mean that I have a bunch of the hex codes for the MCE remote that I am actually spitting out via my home automation software (Charmed Quark) through a Global Cache GC100. Everything works a treat but, if I have, say, a movie playing and back out to the main menu (content still playing), I haven't figured out how to return back to full screen playback mode. Unfortunately, I don't actually have an MCE remote to experiment with (press buttons 'til I find the right one) so, does anyone know which key will accomplish what I'm after?
See http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/mceremote.zip for lots of info on the MCE remote if it helps.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:See http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/mceremote.zip for lots of info on the MCE remote if it helps.
JR

Thanks but, I just need to know which button press will return to full screen of what's currently playing. Otherwise, control works fine.
For my MCE remote, I ended up editing the keymap.xml and changing the record tag...

<record>FullScreen</record>

That did it for me... The record button was useless to me (I have never needed to take a screenshot), so I repurposed it.
Thanks, hexland. I assume that the .xml is in the XBMC user files. Is that right? Do you know the path? Please be gentle, I'm VERY new to XBMC.
Try the display button
TonyNoone Wrote:Thanks, hexland. I assume that the .xml is in the XBMC user files. Is that right? Do you know the path? Please be gentle, I'm VERY new to XBMC.

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml"

JR
Hi everyone.
I have a question something like this.
I just bought an HTPC whit a codegen mx31 case and they gived it whit a card reader and remote control.
This is the remote control look like:
http://www.edio21.com/prod_rc126.asp

my problem is that I can only use arrows , down up right left and the OK button. Can someone help me whit that? I read abaout the keymap.xml file and I read the whole thing, but I can't figure out what should I write in it. I downloaded the package, what someone posted abowe, and there was inside this program , showkey, I runed it and pushd the button on the remote but nothing happend.

I can realy use a litle help.
Thanx
Ghostika Wrote:... showkey, I runed it and pushd the button on the remote but nothing happend

There is a bug in ShowKey that I will fix soon, honest! Until you resize it ShowKey won't display the button presses. Just resize the window by a small amount and you'll see the top part of the window go grey. Now it will show you the button presses. You can check it's working by pressing a key on the keyboard and ShowKey should show you the keypress.

JR
So I have gone in and altered the keymap .xml to my liking but, none of the changes work. I opened the .xml doc located in the system folder and saved the changes I wanted but, nothing seems to have taken. Many of the associated key presses will show up on the upper left hand side of my screen (MediaStream) with question marks after them. In other words, XBMC "see's" the command but can't not act upon it. Any other ideas?
@TonyNoone: I think we need a bit more info. What build of XBMC are you using and what changes have you made?

If you turn debugging on the xbmc.log records all keypresses that XBMXC sees, whether it acts on them or not.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:There is a bug in ShowKey that I will fix soon, honest! Until you resize it ShowKey won't display the button presses. Just resize the window by a small amount and you'll see the top part of the window go grey. Now it will show you the button presses. You can check it's working by pressing a key on the keyboard and ShowKey should show you the keypress.

JR

Thanx I will try out at night. And I'm right, that after i press a button and the showkey writ out the "name", that's what i should write in the keymap.xml right?

Like:
<left>command goes here</left>
Ghostika Wrote:Thanx I will try out at night. And I'm right, that after i press a button and the showkey writ out the "name", that's what i should write in the keymap.xml right?

Like:
<left>command goes here</left>

Yes, though there are a few points to note:

- if a key is already defined don't add a second entry for it. For example there will already be a definition for <left>

- don't edit XBMC\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml because if you make a mistake you will probably break the key mapping completely. Create a new keyboard.xml with the extra keys you want to define. If you're using portable mode create the new keyboard.xml in XBMC\userdata\keymaps. If you're not using portable mode the keyboard.xml needs to go into your profile (something like %APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps).

Incidentally I've fixed the bug in ShowKey and the new version is avalable at http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/ShowKey.exe (the case matters).

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Yes, though there are a few points to note:

- if a key is already defined don't add a second entry for it. For example there will already be a definition for <left>

- don't edit XBMC\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml because if you make a mistake you will probably break the key mapping completely. Create a new keyboard.xml with the extra keys you want to define. If you're using portable mode create the new keyboard.xml in XBMC\userdata\keymaps. If you're not using portable mode the keyboard.xml needs to go into your profile (something like %APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps).

Incidentally I've fixed the bug in ShowKey and the new version is avalable at http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/ShowKey.exe (the case matters).

JR

Ohh thanx the help, I will try out. Only one quetion what is portable and not portable mode?Smile Thanx
jhsrennie Wrote:@TonyNoone: I think we need a bit more info. What build of XBMC are you using and what changes have you made?

If you turn debugging on the xbmc.log records all keypresses that XBMXC sees, whether it acts on them or not.

JR
The changes I made in the keymap.xml file (located in C:\Program Files\XBMC\system) were as follows...

<remote>
<three>VolumeUp</three>
<seven>ContextMenu</seven>
<six>VolumeDown</six>
<eight>XBMC.ShutDown()</eight>
<one>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</one>
<two>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</two>
<four>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</four>
<five>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</five>
<nine>Info</nine>
<play>Play</play>
<pause>Pause</pause>
<stop>Stop</stop>
<forward>FastForward</forward>
<reverse>Rewind</reverse>
<left>Left</left>
<right>Right</right>
<up>Up</up>
<down>Down</down>
<select>Select</select>
<pageplus>PageUp</pageplus>
<pageminus>PageDown</pageminus>
<back>ParentDir</back>
<menu>PreviousMenu</menu>
<title>ContextMenu</title>
<info>Info</info>
<skipplus>SkipNext</skipplus>
<skipminus>SkipPrevious</skipminus>
<display>FullScreen</display>
<start>PreviousMenu</start>
<record>Fullscreen</record>
<volumeplus>VolumeUp</volumeplus>
<volumeminus>VolumeDown</volumeminus>
<mute>Mute</mute>
<power>XBMC.ShutDown()</power>
<myvideo>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</myvideo>
<mymusic>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</mymusic>
<mypictures>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</mypictures>
<mytv>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</mytv>
</remote>

The XBMC build is the Babylon edition.

Before I have a chance to forget, thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Return to "now playing" media, MCE remote?0