[LINUX] HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct 1080p HD
X3lectric Wrote:Ah in that case let me put my Mind Readers Hat on I forgot to wear it earlier on.

Since I haven't installed it from CD (I'm upgrading from one version to the other as they become available) and since that is a old not use license incompatible whatever that's is you cant really blame me for not guessing what they were talking about but if this is the case this is not true on an upgrade and if this file is there on install from CD report it as bug or post a separate topic on relevant forums for support on this. It shouldn't be there since xbmc/nvidia should use xorg.conf

odd anyways I cant see why XBMC would now suddenly decide to be using that.

you find it inside your own /etc/X11 presuming you havent already fiddled with this file called xorg.conf or where the xorg logs are kept

Also funnily enough its mentioned several times in this topic specially the first I guess your reading glasses were misplaced?

Sorry I totally missed it. I'm working trying to figure out something there and do this at the same time. Smile
pbjr Wrote:dan1son, thanks for sharing your findings. I had concerns about the difference between 23.976 and 24. Even though I knew that my files are 23.976 and XBMC says playback is 24. I just hoped everything was working as it should.

Is the double frame every 40 seconds the only issue? Are there any audio sync issues?

Thanks

I've never noticed audio getting out of sync... although 1/23.976th of a second every 40 seconds it'll probably take a little while to tell.

I've also noticed my TV only reports through EDID the 23.976 mode, it doesn't claim a 24hz mode so if I use the modes it responds with it should be good to go. The problem is most people are recommending putting custom mode lines in xorg.conf that aren't necessarily what the TV claims to support, one of which is a 24hz while another is a 23.976hz modeline. Based on the configurations I see around this board, you're not going to get 23.976hz playback since xrandr (thus XBMC) can't distinguish between the two.

All of that said, I can't seem to get rid of judders completely anyway. I'm not sure if it's my source material, something with my TV, or anything else. I still seem to get around 1 every minute or so no matter what I've tried. I've even turned on sync to display with drop/dupe and only get about one drop or duped packet (for 10ms) every 10 minutes. That's pretty freakin close to never, yet the video still seems to skip or copy a frame every minute, even though the sync code thinks it's all gravy.

I do get something like this. In the logs. Usually the pattern lost is dropped in a few seconds after I notice a frame missing or duped. I haven't found any info on this debug code... maybe a dev can read this and let me know if this is trying to explain why I'm getting skips?
Code:
3:51:27 T:2257046384 M:1018576896   DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: pattern lost
23:51:31 T:2257046384 M:1018499072   DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: detected pattern of length 2: 50048.33 33367.92
23:51:32 T:2257046384 M:1018499072   DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: pattern lost

Also note, I have interlace handling off so I'm not sure why a pulldown correction algorithm is running.
Thx geant90, i've finally been able to enable all the modes i want, it was a simple option missing (DynamicTwinView = false). Since the problem mentioned above i'm only using 23.967, 50 and 59.94 which should be sufficiant.

Maybe offtopic but i just have to mention this however: ""funny" thing is, in the end i had to copy from http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26...rates.html and take my risk, i was half aware of what X3lectric posted (that you can't just copy modelines from another video setup), but what other choice did i have? I can't get custom modelines at least by the ways i came to know by a full week of research. I have an ION-based HTPC connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia 40Z4500, and i'm no absolute pro at linux when it comes to graphics because i only come into contact with linux while administering server systems via SSH client. Since sony seems to want to keep the hsync and vsync specs a secret (not in my manual, not found via google, not on their homepage..) and xorg.log gave me wrong values which wouldn't allow 23.976 although it really is possible...well, i think you see the problem. Modelines produced by gtf are severely screwed up and not working here, i also tried ctv because it was mentioned in some other thread, same result.
gokudo Wrote:Thx geant90, i've finally been able to enable all the modes i want, it was a simple option missing (DynamicTwinView = false). Since the problem mentioned above i'm only using 23.967, 50 and 59.94 which should be sufficiant.

Maybe offtopic but i just have to mention this however: ""funny" thing is, in the end i had to copy from http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26...rates.html and take my risk, i was half aware of what X3lectric posted (that you can't just copy modelines from another video setup), but what other choice did i have? I can't get custom modelines at least by the ways i came to know by a full week of research. I have an ION-based HTPC connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia 40Z4500, and i'm no absolute pro at linux when it comes to graphics because i only come into contact with linux while administering server systems via SSH client. Since sony seems to want to keep the hsync and vsync specs a secret (not in my manual, not found via google, not on their homepage..) and xorg.log gave me wrong values which wouldn't allow 23.976 although it really is possible...well, i think you see the problem. Modelines produced by gtf are severely screwed up and not working here, i also tried ctv because it was mentioned in some other thread, same result.

With a modern TV you should be fairly safe with the CEA-861B modelines/timings. You can google for those.

And yes, my Sony also hides the sync specs so I just used ones that make the 23.976 mode work, especially since the Sony EDID responds with that mode, but sync specs that don't match. Go figure...
does any one know of a solid 23.978 modeline, i my self don't beleive having Hz in that section that your tv dose not support will do damage as the tv / lcd it's self will not display and notify you its not compatible etc.
there is no such thing geant90 it will ALWAYS default to 24HZ there's a very informative post on that on this very topic look at this

That means no matter what you do it will round up or down to 24HZ.

However I think refresh rate and frames per second have a lot of people confused on this as well.
dan1son:
Any chance you could post your settings, even if you're not 100% happy?

There's a lot of folks on ion/asrock/zotac h/w now which means a lot of people who should be able to use common options to get this stuff up and running.

Thanks.
finite3 Wrote:dan1son:

There's a lot of folks on ion/asrock/zotac h/w now which means a lot of people who should be able to use common options to get this stuff up and running.

Thanks.

Well I am currently 900 miles from home and that machine is shut off so no, I can't get my setup at the moment. Maybe Thursday when I get back home.

I basically have it setup to give me just 59.94hz and 23.976hz 1920x1080 modes to choose from. Of the 150 movies I have, only 1 is 24fps so I'm not too worried about having a 24hz modeline.
thk for the guide but I have a question: I usually switch between two monitor and, of course, I must create two types of modeline for each monitor

It's possible to use only one xorg.conf for all the monitors? I think it is, but I don't know where to modify the config's file. Anyone can help me?
finite3 Wrote:dan1son:

Thanks.

all the answers in topic from first post down to mine how to avoid messing your things more so if you bother to read what others have bothered to post you should be able to do your own specific specially since the TV part will most certainly be different in most cases so read up and learn sommint
Lightbulb 
OK, so, after much messing around..

Here are the modelines and probable refresh rates for my Panasonic V10 plasma:
Code:
HorizSync       31.0 - 69.0
    VertRefresh     59.0 - 86.0
    ModeLine       "1920x1080@50p" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080@60p" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080@24p" 74.16 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080@25p" 64.88 1920 1952 2144 2368 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
They are very different to the ones provided for the Toshba TV at the start of this thread.
I have used integer values for 24p and 60p

And this is the Modes line for the screen section:
Code:
Modes "1920x1080@50p" "1920x1080@60p" "1920x1080@24p" "1920x1080@25p"

24p definitely works, as does 50p. I haven't completed testing yet.

Note/problem:
The modelines came from xinit in verbose mode, which also showed the refresh rates.
For some reason, gtf shows the wrong sign/polarity for Hsync, and also different values for each of the modes,
Update: My Panasonic manual lists the following as the "PC refresh rates" for my V10: HorizSync 31.0 - 69.0 VertRefresh 59.0 - 86.0. I have switched to these settings, although it disagrees with what Linux says!

These settings & testing now done on RC1. Don't forget to upgrade nvidia drivers, otherwise doesn't work, and you'll stutter on highdef (with ION).
I have removed interlaced modes as I suspect they are never used, except incorrectly.
Lightbulb 
gtf is easy no tweaking necessary enter X Y Hz and it gives you the exact modeline only it doesnt support say 59.94Hz like it dont support 23.something it will always round up or down to the closest Hz.

gtf will give you the absolute correct modleines whats on xorg.conf is not necessarily gospel.

if you cant recreate a new xorg then your missing something I have posted how to do this.

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and then you insert the tweaks on the xorg.conf after its been created.

Simple and that should work.

so your problems and errors are not serious.
dan1son Wrote:Well I am currently 900 miles from home and that machine is shut off so no, I can't get my setup at the moment. Maybe Thursday when I get back home.

I basically have it setup to give me just 59.94hz and 23.976hz 1920x1080 modes to choose from. Of the 150 movies I have, only 1 is 24fps so I'm not too worried about having a 24hz modeline.

it wont work on this 59.94hz or 23.976hz it will round up or down to closest actually supported Hz
Question 
Hi all, I have a Samsung B750 series LCD HDTV under our TV which we unpack on Christmas.

It is a 240hz set, 1080p, all the newest bells and whistles.

Since most of this thread seems geared towards 120hz users; and I've never used ANYTHING other than my old 60hz LCD before, can someone tell me which mode I'm supposed to be running XBMC on? This is all so confusing for a novice user like me

Any help on exactly which resolution or mode I'm supposed to run on for optimum performance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help!!

cheers
X3lectric Wrote:
it wont work on this 59.94hz or 23.976hz it will round up or down to closest actually supported Hz
Well the post you quoted at the top of this page was the post I made explaining it's impossible to have both a 24hz and 23.976hz modeline at once if you expect xbmc to switch refresh rates for you. If you only have the 23.976hz modeline you should actually get that refresh rate for your display. Xbmc and xrandr will claim it's 24hz, but it should actually be 23.976hz that is output to the tv.

I am not 100% sure if xbmc times the frames in such a way that it is putting 23.976 of them a second and not trying for 24, but based on other posts I have seen it should be doing 23.976.

The main problem is the fact that 24 and 23.976 are quite close and you'll only see a mess up every 40 seconds or so, making it hard to know for sure what is happening.

When I have some more time, and go back home I'll futz some more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct 1080p HD1