[LINUX] HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct 1080p HD
Dan1son: when I ran gtf it rounded it to 23.98 anyway. So there may always be some slippage.
dan1son Wrote:Well the post you quoted at the top of this page was the post I made explaining it's impossible to have both a 24hz and 23.976hz modeline at once if you expect xbmc to switch refresh rates for you. If you only have the 23.976hz modeline you should actually get that refresh rate for your display. Xbmc and xrandr will claim it's 24hz, but it should actually be 23.976hz that is output to the tv.

I am not 100% sure if xbmc times the frames in such a way that it is putting 23.976 of them a second and not trying for 24, but based on other posts I have seen it should be doing 23.976.

The main problem is the fact that 24 and 23.976 are quite close and you'll only see a mess up every 40 seconds or so, making it hard to know for sure what is happening.

When I have some more time, and go back home I'll futz some more.

IT DOES NOT WORK and BTW TV EDID modes are mostly rubbish. thers a post explaining how it all works but since you seem to know better then thats fine by me...
X3lectric Wrote:IT DOES NOT WORK and BTW TV EDID modes are mostly rubbish. thers a post explaining how it all works but since you seem to know better then thats fine by me...

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what doesn't work. You keep saying "it" but I have no idea what you are referring to. There are a lot of things being talked about most of which I agree don't work, but I haven't seen anything saying 23.976hz simply doesn't work no matter what.

The CEA-861 modes should work on tvs especially considering they are what a blu-ray player is likely to use. My tv responds with those modes anyway.

I'm also not sure what you are saying is rounding... X won't round, the tv can't round a modeline...

I appologize is my post is somewhat less detailed than normal, I only have a phone for internet where I am
I still get framedrops on an ION + 1080p content. Anyone fixed this (already running with the correct modelines, etc.).
Are we overcooking this by setting up modelines?
This thread has an example of someone getting 24p etc using native edid: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post464495

Yes, edid may not be 100% correct, but it's good enough for most hardware media players. So it may be an appropriate solution for the non-technical 95% of xbmc live users.
dan1son Wrote:I'm just trying to figure out exactly what doesn't work. You keep saying "it" but I have no idea what you are referring to. There are a lot of things being talked about most of which I agree don't work, but I haven't seen anything saying 23.976hz simply doesn't work no matter what.

The CEA-861 modes should work on tvs especially considering they are what a blu-ray player is likely to use. My tv responds with those modes anyway.

I'm also not sure what you are saying is rounding... X won't round, the tv can't round a modeline...

I appologize is my post is somewhat less detailed than normal, I only have a phone for internet where I am

its not the tv that does that any screen can be told to accept non compatible resolutions or refresh rates that doesnt mean its right.

the values which are default is what software scales/ uses default refresh rates 23.whatever Hz will goto 24Hz

similar with other resolutions that has better chance of working, regardless if tv "responds" to this doesn't mean it should be forced to.

Anywho if your refresh rate is being automatically handled in XBMC its in settings whatever the xorg.conf contains it will be used as I understand it.
Ive got a Toshiba 37XV556D and it works flawlessly on it!

THX ! Smile

Is it possible to change the values to 720p ?
I must say that the most of my HD-Movies are in 720p and i think it would be nice if i could give it to the TV without the upscaling.

Is it possible to change the resolution,too ?
720/24p movie -> 1280x720@24Hz
1080/24p movie -> 1920x1080@24Hz
Menu -> 1280x720@50Hz

EDIT: okay forget it, my TV can't do 720p @ 24 Hz
finite3 Wrote:Are we overcooking this by setting up modelines?
This thread has an example of someone getting 24p etc using native edid: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post464495

Yes, edid may not be 100% correct, but it's good enough for most hardware media players. So it may be an appropriate solution for the non-technical 95% of xbmc live users.

Well speaking for me, i had no other choice. My standard available modes in XBMC without setting up modelines in xorg.conf were 50hz-59hz only. And even when i switched to 24 in nvidia-settings it still was 50hz in reality, my tv also didn't show that it was running in 24hz mode. I must say however i'm very noobish to all this but even after a week of research in my free time i haven't found an option how to get my TV's native modelines. Even verbose mode to create an x.log didn't work for 24hz, so the modeline i use for this is NOT figuered out by myself, instead i use a CEA-861 one. I think a normal non-technical user would perhaps be satisfied when his material is not played in exact sync with the tv, i however am not because one reason for me to use xbmc was the possibility to be able to playback 1080p with 23.967fps material (almost) flawlessly in 24hz mode. I still have a few counted framedrops with certain "hardcore" anime encodes, but even that is better than everything i experienced with MP in Win7. Yes, even with DXVA or CoreAVC.
After following the directions of the OP, XBMC no longer starts. It goes to command line.

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm running 9.11 rc 1 on a revo 1600.

After copying the original back it started immediately.
gokudo Wrote:Well speaking for me, i had no other choice. My standard available modes in XBMC without setting up modelines in xorg.conf were 50hz-59hz only. And even when i switched to 24 in nvidia-settings it still was 50hz in reality, my tv also didn't show that it was running in 24hz mode. I must say however i'm very noobish to all this but even after a week of research in my free time i haven't found an option how to get my TV's native modelines. Even verbose mode to create an x.log didn't work for 24hz, so the modeline i use for this is NOT figuered out by myself, instead i use a CEA-861 one. I think a normal non-technical user would perhaps be satisfied when his material is not played in exact sync with the tv, i however am not because one reason for me to use xbmc was the possibility to be able to playback 1080p with 23.967fps material (almost) flawlessly in 24hz mode. I still have a few counted framedrops with certain "hardcore" anime encodes, but even that is better than everything i experienced with MP in Win7. Yes, even with DXVA or CoreAVC.

As I mentioned in one of my posts (I think the first one I made in this thread) the Nvidia drivers with "DynamicTwinView" enabled tell xrandr (used by XBMC) that the refresh rates are 50, 51, 52, etc. because xrandr is incapable of distinguishing non integer refresh rates like 23.976. The 50hz refresh rate is probably 60 since that's what your TV will likely default to.

You can see what the actual refresh rates are in the nvidia-settings app, either the GUI or the command line.
I am now trying the edid settings and they are working well.
The other benefit of this is I can move the htpc to another TV without having to change modelines.
X3lectric Wrote:its not the tv that does that any screen can be told to accept non compatible resolutions or refresh rates that doesnt mean its right.

the values which are default is what software scales/ uses default refresh rates 23.whatever Hz will goto 24Hz

similar with other resolutions that has better chance of working, regardless if tv "responds" to this doesn't mean it should be forced to.

Anywho if your refresh rate is being automatically handled in XBMC its in settings whatever the xorg.conf contains it will be used as I understand it.

Are there TVs out there that actually distinguish between 24 and 23.976 fps and adjust the refresh rate accordingly? I know this is a Linux thread but I am currently trying to get Linux running on my Mac mini and when I ran SwitchResX under OSX it detects the modes supported by my TV and 23.976 wasnt listed (only 24,25,30,50 & 60 HZ). I am hoping to use the output from this as the source for the xorg.conf file.
ijhammo Wrote:Are there TVs out there that actually distinguish between 24 and 23.976 fps and adjust the refresh rate accordingly? I know this is a Linux thread but I am currently trying to get Linux running on my Mac mini and when I ran SwitchResX under OSX it detects the modes supported by my TV and 23.976 wasnt listed (only 24,25,30,50 & 60 HZ). I am hoping to use the output from this as the source for the xorg.conf file.

The problem with the different modes is that most TVs in the US support 23.976 and 59.94 since those are the modes sent over the air. The reason is they reduced the framerate slightly to reduce interference from the FM carrier built into the NTSC broadcast.

ATSC (what's broadcast in the US as HDTV) was originally setup to be a global standard and is capable of having PAL and SECAM sent natively, which are 50 or 25 frames per second. It also supports the standard Film speed of 24fps or the NTSC film speed of 23.976. The reason for them STILL using 23.976 is because it's easier to view on NTSC monitors.

However, a lot of TVs (mainly US bound) report 24 and 60 when they are actually 23.976 or 59.94. I'm not sure of a way to know for sure. I do know most of the material I have is 23.976fps, and I have a US TV so I'd imagine it's really looking for 23.976 (and actually returns that in it's EDID if you look at the modeline, even though it's called 24hz).
dan1son Wrote:The problem with the different modes is that most TVs in the US support 23.976 and 59.94 since those are the modes sent over the air. The reason is they reduced the framerate slightly to reduce interference from the FM carrier built into the NTSC broadcast.

ATSC (what's broadcast in the US as HDTV) was originally setup to be a global standard and is capable of having PAL and SECAM sent natively, which are 50 or 25 frames per second. It also supports the standard Film speed of 24fps or the NTSC film speed of 23.976. The reason for them STILL using 23.976 is because it's easier to view on NTSC monitors.

However, a lot of TVs (mainly US bound) report 24 and 60 when they are actually 23.976 or 59.94. I'm not sure of a way to know for sure. I do know most of the material I have is 23.976fps, and I have a US TV so I'd imagine it's really looking for 23.976 (and actually returns that in it's EDID if you look at the modeline, even though it's called 24hz).

I always wondered why they used such obscure fps rates in the US Rolleyes

So how do you determine its looking for 23.976 from the modeline?
ijhammo Wrote:I always wondered why they used such obscure fps rates in the US Rolleyes

So how do you determine its looking for 23.976 from the modeline?

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/v.../calc.html

That'll tell you the actual refresh rate and stuff from the modeline. I downloaded and modified it to make it a little more specific since it was only giving small amounts of precision by default.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct 1080p HD1