Video vs Movie Layout
I love the confluence skin but one thing is stopping me from using it. When you choose Videos and then go setup up your "Videos" section how you like it. IE.. NO Library mode sort by name etc... It gets lost once you go into the Movie menu. When you go back to video it now has the "Movie" layout using Library mode etc... The only skin I have found that keeps the Video's setting is: aenima99x-MediaStream_Redux_Mod-a2dd5f6. Maybe I am missing something but I cant seem to find a setting to make it stick.

Anyone have any ideas?
Does anyone have any idea? I am hoping I am missing something simple.

Thanks.
Enable TV shows on home to make videos always use files mode.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sho Wrote:Enable TV shows on home to make videos always use files mode.

Worked perfectly... Thanks. Smile

You would think though that "Videos" would default to Files mode even without having a "TV" Library.
stilger Wrote:Worked perfectly... Thanks. Smile

You would think though that "Videos" would default to Files mode even without having a "TV" Library.

so then how would people get to their video library quickly if they didn't choose to show the Movies and TVshows buttons
Jezz_X Wrote:so then how would people get to their video library quickly if they didn't choose to show the Movies and TVshows buttons

You would think it wouldn't matter if you have a TV library or not. Why should that be a requirement for being able to save the setting for that view? Each view should remember the last view you had setup.
Umm thats exactly what the "Videos" button does by default. It remembers the last place you were and goes back to it. If the last place you were was the movies section then thats where it will go, if the last place was the files section thats where it will go.

Incase you forgot having "TV Shows" and "Movies" button on the home screen is not a default option. You have to go and enable it in skin settings.
Now I had so many people complaining about this because they use the "TV Shows" and "Movies" buttons and want to go to filemode all the time that I made it so when both are visible thats exactly what it does.

If I went a made it always go to filemode. (as you guys want) then users who don't want "TV Shows" and "Movies" buttons (aka me and most of the team) would have to constantly go to file views then go to the side library button and then into library mode.

Right so if I change it so if you have either button enabled it always goes to file mode then people would not be able to get to their tvshows if they only had Movies enabled without going through filemode.
This also does not take into account that the video library can also have Music Videos and Plugins as well so assumeing that just because people have Main links to Movies and tv shows on there home screen that they wont want to go to "Music Videos" "Plugins" or "Playlists" in the library stupid.

So in conclusion
I was nice enough to force the "Videos" button to go Filemode if you have both "Movies" and "TVshows" enabled if you don't want to enable both but still want it to always go to filemode and ignore "Music Videos" "Plugins" "Playlists" "Movies or TV Shows" (depending on which button you have on) then mod the skin yourself to do it
This is exactly why we need the home menu buttons to be independent of the skin and allow users to add any buttons they want (without coding) via Settings.

There are a lot of people basically asking for this function in several separate threads.

Maybe the devs will notice.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin while its all well and good in theory to let the user just pick what ever they want in practice its way more complicated than that.

For example in Confluence every home menu option is a label. Every option has default background and a custom background. Some of the options have sub menu's that let you do even more

Is PM3.HD same as confluence minus the submenus. But then pm3.hd has the problem of limited space at most you only get about 7 options anymore starts looking silly

Alaska Every Home menu option has an Icon or image to go with it as well as all the stuff Confluence has

MC360 the whole home menu is devided up onto 4 different Pages (blades) with no background images and a icon

Vision the main menu is split up into 3 seperate sub menus that display depending on what position the circle in the middle of the screen is on at the current time, also needs an icon and no other images and no sub menus

Then we get into displaying certain things when certain buttons have focus. EG: PM3.HD has weather and system info stuff show up when your on a specific button. How are we mean to tell what button we are on if people just make them up.

If every skin used the same layout of a never ending list of options they yeah it might be possible to have user defined buttons but the truth is no 2 skins are layed out the same or interact the same for button even if they are the same link. the skinning engine is just too flexible to be able to take into account everything that is needed for every skin without forcing skinners to adhere to a set layout/standard
I'll just enable both. I thought it would be a little more straight forward to have it remember the last view by section. Thanks again.
Jezz_X,
I 100% understand what you are saying but I beleive you are over complicating what would satisfy the many people asking for the feature.

Some of us are simply asking for 1 feature to enable us to make the Home menu easier for our families and friends to use. I'd even be happy with a separate XML file that would not get overwritten when we updated XBMC or skins.... so I would not have to re-mod the native XMLs.

There is no need to enable every possible option for custom Home menu buttons, just a few...
Button label
Source
Background
View type - File/Library

That is all. If this was built into the core code of XBMC (as it should be), then the problem would be solved.

The main issue is that the skins are amazing, no doubt, but they don't lend themselves to being easy for guests/kids/wives/etc to use due to the limited items on the menu and/or the need to use submenus (navigate the tree) which are not intuitive to find for non-XBMCers.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I agree about the ease of use issue. I know my family, for one, would have trouble dealing with the Videos section the way it's currently implemented to remember the last place instead of going to root file view. Fortunately in my case I have both Movies and TV Shows so I can take advantage of the trick, but I understand others who only have one of them.
Livin Wrote:Jezz_X,
I 100% understand what you are saying but I beleive you are over complicating what would satisfy the many people asking for the feature.

I'm not sure adding buttons is a solution. I tried recently to mod a skin and I can't imagine what skinning horror would this unleash.

I'm hoping for merging files and library view, or possibility for custom genres and categories. This would eventually eliminate files view with providing enough flexibility for customizations.

Here are some ideas: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64168

and results so far: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post463926

This may also make skinners work a little bit easier.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video vs Movie Layout0