Old XBox cant see 2 new Win 7 64 PCs?
Question 
Used to connect just fine to Vista and XP PCs but wont do thing with Win 7 PCs running 64 bit Home Premium.

System Info reads XBMC 9.04 r19856 Compiled May 2009
Two Problems,
There was a bug in xbmc introduced around then that was fixed in December. The bug would throw up a Lock dialog asking for the Share Password. Second problem is the Xbox would play from Win-7 for a little while but only after the Win7 box was just rebooted.
Windows 7 uses SMB Version 2 and for some reason after Windows 7 detects Version 2 within the LAN it stops talking Version 1 to the rest of the machines.
For me after my vista box talked to my win7 box then Xbox couldn't talk to the win7 box any longer.
The only fix is to shut of SMB2 in Win7 until Microsoft fixes this.

1. Run "regedit"
2. Expand and locate the sub tree as follows.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

3. Add a new REG_DWORD key with the name of "Smb2" (without quotation mark) Value name: Smb2 Value type: REG_DWORD 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled

4. Set the value to 0 to disable SMB 2.0, or set it to 1 to re-enable SMB 2.0.
5. Reboot the Machine

see detail in
http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/7185

HTH
Mike Pisano Wrote:Two Problems,
There was a bug in xbmc introduced around then that was fixed in December. The bug would throw up a Lock dialog asking for the Share Password. Second problem is the Xbox would play from Win-7 for a little while but only after the Win7 box was just rebooted.
Windows 7 uses SMB Version 2 and for some reason after Windows 7 detects Version 2 within the LAN it stops talking Version 1 to the rest of the machines.
For me after my vista box talked to my win7 box then Xbox couldn't talk to the win7 box any longer.
The only fix is to shut of SMB2 in Win7 until Microsoft fixes this.

1. Run "regedit"
2. Expand and locate the sub tree as follows.

3. Add a new REG_DWORD key with the name of "Smb2" (without quotation mark) Value name: Smb2 Value type: REG_DWORD 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled

4. Set the value to 0 to disable SMB 2.0, or set it to 1 to re-enable SMB 2.0.
5. Reboot the Machine

see detail in
http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/7185

HTH

Yikes. Thanks for the details! Does this hurt any other network functionality with LAN?
There is some speed improvements in Version 2 but only between two machines with SMB2. ie Win7 to Win7

My take is whats the point having faster copies if it wont work with other machines. Not only couldn't the Xbox see my win7 machine but my Linux box and XP failed to connect too.
Like most M$ "Enhancements" to a working protocol, they messed it up.
hth,
Mike
Mike Pisano Wrote:There is some speed improvements in Version 2 but only between two machines with SMB2. ie Win7 to Win7

My take is whats the point having faster copies if it wont work with other machines. Not only couldn't the Xbox see my win7 machine but my Linux box and XP failed to connect too.
Like most M$ "Enhancements" to a working protocol, they messed it up.
hth,
Mike

Sorry to report that no suck line of text exists in my Win 7 PCs. The link you provided, seems to refer to "Fix is
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-sm...r-2008.htm". Vista or Server?

I still need to solve the problem so anything further appreciated!
I doubt the 32 \ 64 versions would have different registry keys?

By no line you mean a DWORD SMB2? You need to create it

Do you have key:

Mike
Mike Pisano Wrote:I doubt the 32 \ 64 versions would have different registry keys?

By no line you mean a DWORD SMB2? You need to create it

Do you have key:

Mike

Search does not find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters
Are you searching in Explorer or in the registry?

You need to use Regedit or Merge the following file

http://www.xbmc.org/trac/attachment/tick...e_SMB2.reg

Click "Original Format" link under Download
Also, just to make sure we are on the right track, are you getting symptoms that I was describing? Is the connection intermittent or you cant connect at all?
What version of XMBC are you using now?
Mike Pisano Wrote:Are you searching in Explorer or in the registry?

You need to use Regedit or Merge the following file

http://www.xbmc.org/trac/attachment/tick...e_SMB2.reg

Click "Original Format" link under Download

Regedit for sure
Mike Pisano Wrote:Also, just to make sure we are on the right track, are you getting symptoms that I was describing? Is the connection intermittent or you cant connect at all?
What version of XBMC are you using now?

Can't connect at all to the 2 64 bit Win 7 PCs.

System Info reads Version XBMC 9.04 r19856 Compiled May 2009
Few things:
First:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters
has a space in "Lanmanserver" not sure how that got in there.
Second:
I don't think you can search for the entire string, I would open the branches manually and add the key or use the merge.
Third:
What happens when your Win7 box tries to read the share?
correction
What Happens when the XBOX tries to read the WIN7 Share.

Any reason preventing you from upgrading to a newer build?
Mike Pisano Wrote:correction
What Happens when the XBOX tries to read the WIN7 Share.

Any reason preventing you from upgrading to a newer build?

Mike I found the reg location and entered the values. Rebooted. XBMC sees the Win 7 PC in the SMB/WORKGROUP. When I click, it gives me the Lock User ID Password box...into which I enter the password (it already knows the user id "jack").

After selecting OK, I go right back to the Lock User box.

I need to upgrade. No reason not too just haven't gotten around to it - perhaps now is the right time. Complete clean install, and then try the Win 7 connect again?
Yes, you need to update to the latest beta

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Old XBox cant see 2 new Win 7 64 PCs?0