• 10(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
PrimaryMaster Wrote:But the big question is still will it run XBMC!?
And how will it do that? from USB stick? or?

You can update firmware via USB. For now, you can customize boxee box based on the log.

.boxee/UserData/advancedsettings.xml
/opt/boxee/system/keymaps/remote.xml
/opt/boxee/skin/boxee/
/tmp/root-boxee.log

USB Devices such as Remotes, Keyboard and Mouse work when it is connected to Boxee Box. It is pretty much a HTPC pc.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
http://www.steventoth.net/hdpvrcapture/s...H.264.m2ts

Can a BB owner play this file and tell me if it skips frames?

Dissapointed with my ion box because it can't play this and I'm looking into the boxee box!

thx! let me know

Sebj
sebj Wrote:http://www.steventoth.net/hdpvrcapture/s...H.264.m2ts

Dissapointed with my ion box because it can't play this and I'm looking into the boxee box!

thx! let me know

Sebj

Plays fine for me.
sebj Wrote:http://www.steventoth.net/hdpvrcapture/s...H.264.m2ts

thx! let me know

Sebj

played over the network with no issues (wired network)
CrashX Wrote:The graphic card is PowerVR SGX 535 but the cpu is intel atom.

Ever hear the tail of the "weakest link"? Z5xx... its nearly two years old, basically the antecedent of the CE4XXX SOC; the drivers are absolutely garbage, all 100 of them (I only slightly exaggerate).
now... back on topic on how to get telnet access and install xbmc pls? Big Grin
minel Wrote:now... back on topic on how to get telnet access and install xbmc pls? Big Grin

I found this on the newly set up Boxee Box Wiki:
  • Add repository "dir.fuzzthed.com"
  • Start "Launcher" app
  • Create application; link should be "/usr/sbin/telnetd -l /bin/sh" -- including all quotes
  • (alternatively, according to Troystrum, you should start TelnetD properly: "/etc/init.d/telentd start" including the quotes)
  • Click on newly created application; nothing happens on the Boxee.
  • Telnet to the box; you should be logged in as root with no password prompt.

The method seems straightforward enough; boxee ships with telnetd, but doesn't load it on startup. The "Launcher" app, built to launch external players/emulators on Windows and Linux, then simply runs telnetd allowing you to telnet in (and apparently as root, at that).

I don't have a boxee box yet, so I can't verify. Weird thing is, I had to crawl through the wiki's history to find the steps, the author removed the article and the link from the main page 20 mins after it was added.
bruing Wrote:I found this on the newly set up boxeeboxwiki.org:
  • Add repository "dir.fuzzthed.com"
  • Start "Launcher" app
  • Create application; link should be "/usr/sbin/telnetd -l /bin/sh" -- including all quotes
  • Click on newly created application; nothing happens on the Boxee.
  • Telnet to the box; you should be logged in as root with no password prompt.

The method seems straightforward enough; boxee ships with telnetd, but doesn't load it on startup. The "Launcher" app, built to launch external players/emulators on Windows and Linux, then simply runs telnetd allowing you to telnet in (and apparently as root, at that).

I don't have a boxee box yet, so I can't verify. Weird thing is, I had to crawl through the wiki's history to find the steps, the author removed the article and the link from the main page 20 mins after it was added.

Thanks! i'm not that savvy in this stuff but I'll give it a try.

WORKS Big Grin
No prob. Still no clue why the author blanked his post, but the article's been restored so you can check out the up-to-date information (and post your own experiences) here

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/TelnetD
@stacked, minel

Thanks guys, I'll pick up a boxee box tomorrow then Smile

You guys were running boxee at 1080p resolution right?

...back to telnet Big Grin

thx, appreciate it
bruing Wrote:No prob. Still no clue why the author blanked his post, but the article's been restored so you can check out the up-to-date information (and post your own experiences) here

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/TelnetD

that was me.

i posted the info and then had second thoughts about how boxee would react to it. i blanked the page, emailed the owner of the wiki using the dns registration email. posted on avsforum (which is being monitored by boxee staff) to report what had happened and see if they had any reaction -- they didn't seem to have anything to say about it.

i wasn't going out of my way to get access, but i saw the file list on the boxeebox wiki, so i knew telnet was there. i was just sitting on around playing with apps, had no idea what "launcher" was. when i saw the folder browse, i knew this was going to be easy.

i don't see how they could lock you out of the box, anyway. if they retain the ability to add third party repositories, there will (seemingly) always be a way in.
Any ideas why it shows up 650MB RAM when boxee box ships with 1GB RAM ?

Anyone tried to make changes boxee box via telnet ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
hohokus Wrote:that was me.

i posted the info and then had second thoughts about how boxee would react to it. i blanked the page, emailed the owner of the wiki using the dns registration email. posted on avsforum (which is being monitored by boxee staff) to report what had happened and see if they had any reaction -- they didn't seem to have anything to say about it.

i wasn't going out of my way to get access, but i saw the file list on the boxeebox wiki, so i knew telnet was there. i was just sitting on around playing with apps, had no idea what "launcher" was. when i saw the folder browse, i knew this was going to be easy.

i don't see how they could lock you out of the box, anyway. if they retain the ability to add third party repositories, there will (seemingly) always be a way in.

From what they keep saying in interviews.. they don't mind hacking the boxee box.. they even encourage people to do so... so.. there Smile
CrashX Wrote:Any ideas why it shows up 650MB RAM when boxee box ships with 1GB RAM ?

Anyone tried to make changes boxee box via telnet ?

that missing memory may be used by the graphics chip, just a guess. I have mucked around in the file system a bit. you cannot change much as most of the file system is mounted read only. simple "mount -n -o remount,rw /" doesn't cut it. I managed to extract all of the nested update images so it might be possible to make a custom update image but it looks like its signed. seems like good progress is being made though. I know my way around linux pretty well but I'm just a user. I'm sure somebody else will figure it all out shortly. boxee isn't nearly as mature as xbmc. If I can't get xbmc on this thing its going back... Sad
kuangmk11 Wrote:that missing memory may be used by the graphics chip, just a guess. I have mucked around in the file system a bit. you cannot change much as most of the file system is mounted read only. simple "mount -n -o remount,rw /" doesn't cut it. I managed to extract all of the nested update images so it might be possible to make a custom update image but it looks like its signed. seems like good progress is being made though. I know my way around linux pretty well but I'm just a user. I'm sure somebody else will figure it all out shortly. boxee isn't nearly as mature as xbmc. If I can't get xbmc on this thing its going back... Sad

Yup forgot about the videomemory.

Is it "mount / -o remount,rw" ?
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1