• 9(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
nuzecast Wrote:I have a Boxee Box (2 actually) and it takes between 4-5 minutes to load my library of 200 TV shows (10,000 episodes).

Navigate into one of the shows and then go back to the show list and it starts all over again for 4-5 minutes.
If the screensaver kicks in it starts all over again for 4-5 minutes when you wake it.

Running XBMC on an XBOX takes 10 seconds to load my TV library !!!

Was really hoping to replace my XBOXs with these (really wanted an appliance replacement) but unless someone can figure out how to get XBMC on them, they are useless and frustrating.

Interesting. Thanks for this feedback. Are you running them wired or wireless?
nuzecast Wrote:I have a Boxee Box (2 actually) and it takes between 4-5 minutes to load my library of 200 TV shows (10,000 episodes).

Navigate into one of the shows and then go back to the show list and it starts all over again for 4-5 minutes.
If the screensaver kicks in it starts all over again for 4-5 minutes when you wake it.

Running XBMC on an XBOX takes 10 seconds to load my TV library !!!

Was really hoping to replace my XBOXs with these (really wanted an appliance replacement) but unless someone can figure out how to get XBMC on them, they are useless and frustrating.

This is because boxee doesn't cache all artwork all the time due to limited space 1GB. It will pull it from the internet.

In terms of hacking to support XBMC, it should be much easier to do then others. Here are few reason why:

1) It is Intel Based
2) Boxee Box has to release source that it did to XBMC to make it run on boxee box.
3) Boxee Box USB firmware image should be available soon according to the developers.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Wired, though I don't think that would matter ... this is just viewing the library ... locally stored (cached) information.

Edit: Sorry ,,, just read the post above .. I was unaware of this ... so it is pulling artwork every time I load the listHuh Wow.
http://htbackdrops.com (Home Theater Backdrops) offers a large collection FanArt Backdrops of Music Artist and Games, and it also has a good collection of Weather Backgrounds. Help contribute by uploading FanArt for your favorite Music Artist and Games so that others can enjoy it as well.
CrashX Wrote:This is because boxee doesn't cache all artwork all the time due to limited space 1GB. It will pull it from the internet.

In terms of hacking to support XBMC, it should be much easier to do then others. Here are few reason why:

1) It is Intel Based

It's actually SGX POWERVR based, which can quickly mean SOL, at least for Linux.
See the thread started a while ago:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=boxee

There is much interest in the community for freedom on the box, the preference being to install both XBMC, and Boxee, and allowing the user a choice.

Edited by Mod: Threads merged.
YodaEXE Wrote:For the price you paid on that, wouldn't you have been better off just buying something like an Acer Revo, that you know you could install XBMC onto?

You can't buy a REVO for $200 anymore.
alex84 Wrote:Hey mate... Are you able to check if the boxee box support bitstream dts-hd ma to an capable reciver. Making the recivers dts-hdma logo light upp..

I have read around but can nail it if that will be supported. Cheers mate

Hey Alex84,

I just got my box today but I am working long hours so I've only had about 30 minutes with the thing. I can confirm that the Boxee Box (BB) does bitstream DTS-HD MA. It also supports Dolby TrueHD and it is supposed to bitstream it as well, but there is currently a bug that causes the BB to do the decoding on the BB and output as LPCM (Just like an ION box with XBMC). I also tried one of my movies with a 7-channel FLAC audio track and that worked as well. The BB locked up when I tried to play a file with a uncompressed multi-channel PCM track (Chris Botti Live). I only had time to play some MKV files so I can't comment on any other containers. If anybody else has any questions let me know. I'm happy to answer anything I can just don't expect any answers until Sunday afternoon because I have to work tomorrow too :-( Until then the AVS forum BB owners thread is a good place to find what you want to know.

-Bahndit
YodaEXE Wrote:For the price you paid on that, wouldn't you have been better off just buying something like an Acer Revo, that you know you could install XBMC onto?

Not a big deal to everyone but the Revo can't bitstream HD audio codecs either Smile

-Bahndit
Bahndit Wrote:Hey Alex84,

I just got my box today but I am working long hours so I've only had about 30 minutes with the thing. I can confirm that the Boxee Box (BB) does bitstream DTS-HD MA. It also supports Dolby TrueHD and it is supposed to bitstream it as well, but there is currently a bug that causes the BB to do the decoding on the BB and output as LPCM (Just like an ION box with XBMC). I also tried one of my movies with a 7-channel FLAC audio track and that worked as well. The BB locked up when I tried to play a file with a uncompressed multi-channel PCM track (Chris Botti Live). I only had time to play some MKV files so I can't comment on any other containers. If anybody else has any questions let me know. I'm happy to answer anything I can just don't expect any answers until Sunday afternoon because I have to work tomorrow too :-( Until then the AVS forum BB owners thread is a good place to find what you want to know.

-Bahndit

Can you test XBMCLIVE from a USB stick?
Someone already telnet into the boxee box:

Quote:# uname -a
Linux boxeebox 2.6.28 #6 PREEMPT Thu Aug 12 11:39:42 CST 2010 i686 unknown
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 147.9M 147.9M 0 100% /
/dev/root 147.9M 147.9M 0 100% /
df: /ramtmp: No such file or directory
df: /ramtmp/p1: No such file or directory
df: /ramtmp/p2: No such file or directory
/dev/loop0 147.9M 147.9M 0 100% /
tmpfs 8.0M 24.0k 8.0M 0% /dev
tmpfs 300.0M 44.7M 255.3M 15% /tmp
tmpfs 8.0M 32.0k 8.0M 0% /var
/dev/Glob_Spectraa3 219.4M 19.1M 200.3M 9% /data
/dev/Glob_Spectraa4 218.9M 16.2M 202.8M 7% /download

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost....tcount=707
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Quote:Some already telnet into the boxee box

Sweet! Then can you edit xml files? access to /etc/fstab ?

This is getting tempting.... Might pick one up tomorrow.

Sebj
usually root can do anything Big Grin
More Commands ( meminfo, cpuinfo, free, lsmod ) :

Code:
# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         644016 kB
MemFree:          165400 kB
Buffers:           36972 kB
Cached:           246376 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:           173356 kB
Inactive:         197028 kB
Active(anon):      48616 kB
Inactive(anon):    71400 kB
Active(file):     124740 kB
Inactive(file):   125628 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:         87080 kB
Mapped:            77184 kB
Slab:              23624 kB
SReclaimable:      18528 kB
SUnreclaim:         5096 kB
PageTables:         1020 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      644016 kB
Committed_AS:     140464 kB
VmallocTotal:     384940 kB
VmallocUsed:      290608 kB
VmallocChunk:      73216 kB
DirectMap4k:        2048 kB
DirectMap2M:      653312 kB
#
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 28
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU CE4110   @ 1.20GHz
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 1199.994
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm
bogomips        : 2399.98
clflush size    : 64
power management:

#
# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       644016       478616       165400            0        36972
Swap:            0            0            0
Total:       644016       478616       165400
#
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P  
bsd_comp                5376  0
ppp_mppe                5892  0
ppp_async               7808  0
ppp_deflate             4480  0
ppp_generic            17172  4 bsd_comp,ppp_mppe,ppp_async,ppp_deflate
slhc                    5504  1 ppp_generic
card_detector           2692  0
alsa_shim              11324  0
snd_usb_audio          77824  0
snd_usb_lib            14208  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            16768  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_hwdep               6020  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_device          6284  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm                61320  2 alsa_shim,snd_usb_audio
snd_page_alloc          7944  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              18436  1 snd_pcm
snd                    37684  8 alsa_shim,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
ismdbufmon             26244  0
ismdaudio            5836068  1 alsa_shim
ismdvidrend           105920  0
ismdvidpproc          745940  1 ismdvidrend
edl_audio_dac_drv_linux    10104  0
edl_thermal             6280  0
ismdviddec_v2         371832  0
ismddemux_v2          340064  0
ismdclock_recovery     10864  3 ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismddemux_v2
ismdclock              21380  0
ismdcore             6697856  9 alsa_shim,ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismdvidrend,ismdvidpproc,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock_recovery,ismdclock
pvrsrvkm              111824  6
ioctl_module            3732  11 ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismdvidrend,ismdvidpproc,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock_recovery,ismdclock,ismdcore
sec_kernel             19004  2
gdl_mm                 54468  10 ismdaudio,ismdvidrend
intel_ce_pm            12448  3 ismdvidpproc,pvrsrvkm,gdl_mm
clock_control          20648  5 ismdaudio,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock,sec_kernel,intel_ce_pm
idl_smartcard          10372  0
idl_spi                 7116  1 edl_audio_dac_drv_linux
idl_gpio               21532  0
idl_i2c                14108  2 gdl_mm,clock_control
sven_linux             23144  12 alsa_shim,ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismdvidrend,ismdvidpproc,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock_recovery,ismdclock,ismdcore,sec_kernel,clock_control
system_utils_linux      2816  7 alsa_shim,ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismdvidrend,ismdvidpproc,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2
platform_config        11396  13 ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismdvidrend,ismdvidpproc,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock_recovery,ismdclock,ismdcore,intel_ce_pm,clock_control,sven_linux,system_utils_linux
dhd                    86020  0
pal_linux              17284  14 ismdaudio,ismdvidpproc,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock,pvrsrvkm,sec_kernel,intel_ce_pm,clock_control,idl_smartcard,idl_spi,idl_gpio,idl_i2c,sven_linux
lirc_mceusb2           12292  0
lirc_dev               10264  1 lirc_mceusb2
osal_linux             15376  23 alsa_shim,ismdbufmon,ismdaudio,ismdvidrend,ismdvidpproc,edl_audio_dac_drv_linux,ismdviddec_v2,ismddemux_v2,ismdclock_recovery,ismdclock,ismdcore,pvrsrvkm,sec_kernel,gdl_mm,intel_ce_pm,clock_control,idl_smartcard,idl_spi,idl_gpio,idl_i2c,sven_linux,system_utils_linux,pal_linux
spectra                76980  5
#

DMSEG = http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Dmesg

Alot more information found including boxee update format ( iso )http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Boxee ( aka xbmc log ) : http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Root-boxee.log
Soju Wrote:It's actually SGX POWERVR based, which can quickly mean SOL, at least for Linux.

The graphic card is PowerVR SGX 535 but the cpu is intel atom.
But the big question is still will it run XBMC!?
And how will it do that? from USB stick? or?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1