Aspect ratio question
Hi All

I've searched the web and here for an answer to this one but its elluded me so far.

I have a revo set up via hdmi -> dvi to my lcd running at 1360x768 @50HZ.

When watching a DVD with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or greater via the DVD Player outputs a taller picture than an ISO rip played back via XBMC.

I dont have access to a camera at the mo but hitting information on the XBMC system shows that it is scaling 1:1 and is running at 2.41:1 instead of 2.35:1

I set the TV up to allow Picture in picture and showed the two feeds (RGB from DVD and DVI from XBMC / Revo) as anamorphically squashed side by side. From this it was really clear that the XBMC picture was (A) much, much better than the RGB DVD player feed but (B) also shorter.

I found that this could be overcome by changing the video display settings allowed error in aspect ratio to 14% but unfortunately this messes up 4:3 playback.

Although noticed at first on H264 DVD Rips, copying one of the original ISO files over to my movie drive (as described above) shows exactly the same issue so this is not related to ripping / encoding solely playback.

Am I missing something obvious here or is this a limitation of a more accurate playback system?

Thanks for any advice anyone has

regards all

Edz
Your DVD player may well be wrong.

Press Z while playing, and note the frame size, pixel ratio and output size.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Don't want to hijack your thread but I think this is related.

I'm currently using XBMC for Xbox thru S-Video on a Sony 1080p LCD.

I've noticed that the aspect ratio being displayed by XBMC isn't what it is supposed to be. Although some files are ok. KMplayer/WMP plays the files at the correct ratio.

Video that's supposed to be 1.78/16:9 shows up as 1.82 in XBMC, 2.35 shows at 2.41.

If I adjust the pixel ratio to 0.97 then 1.78 = 1.77 (close enough), but other videos that were correct at 1.00:1 are then wrong?

I've done the video calibration - rectangle is square, overscan is set to the edges of the screen.

Also tried with the windows version and it's the same.

Some examples: from Windows XBMC on 1680x1050res @ 1.00:1 pixel ratio
720,480 > 1472,1050 = 1.40:1 should be 1.5sar or 1.33dar
720,576 > 1680,899 = 1.87:1 should be 1.25sar or 1.78dar
1280,720 > 1680,945 = 1.78 which is correct
1280,544 > 1680, 914 = 2.35 which is correct
624,336 > 1680,905 = 1.86 which is correct
624,352 > 1680,948 = 1.77 which is correct

If I adjust the pixel ratio to 0.97 then 1.78 = 1.77 (close enough), but other videos that were correct at 1.00:1 are then wrong?

I'd assume there is something wrong with the videos, but other programs play them properly?
Search - this was covered in detail in the last couple of weeks. The difference is whether or not we should respect the standards (BT-601 IIRC) or not. Currently we do. It appears, however, that many DVDs of recent times have been mastered differently (i.e. assuming the DVD frame is the 4x3 or 16x9 region, which according to the standard is incorrect.)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thanks for the info.

So for the moment it seems you have one or the other displayed in the wrong aspect or adjust as required till/if anything is changed in XBMC.

For anyone else that has the same issue this is the link to the thread as noted above.
Try r26996.

just tried 27003 and it's still the same.

Was there supposed to be something changed? or an option to choose?
Correct, the ratio(s) used for DVDs was changed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aspect ratio question0