God how do you sort the music library now?
It seems every release something goes missing!

The music section, the runt of the XBMC litter, the bit that gets ignored time after time after time.

Boys it needs to be the central aspect! Yes the videos bit looks great but music is the food of the soul!

So here I am, deciding finally to try once again with XBMC for my music collection. In the past I did take the time to manually. Yes manually find backdrops and artists pictures for all of the 800 odd albums in my itunes library just for XBMC and all was good after the mammouth effert. Since then I have got a UPNP renderer and as the UPNP in XBMC sadly cannot act as a control point - and after many new releases of XBMC, my library going south a few times etc- I ditched my music library attempt with xbmc.

Today I am trying again, this time with a modest flac library of around 150 albums. I have scanned said library in XBMC. I do not have particularly odd tastes but again allmusic and lastfm have failed miserably to scrape much of anything. The annoying thing is if you get info an an album, there is your album art all looking great but back in the normal views, nothing. Generic folder icon.

It was not long ago once in music view you just pull up the menu and 'update library' was there, when clicked it would say 'update for all albums?' clicking yes seemed to fix most of these issues of lost artwork and randomness. But alas in the latest beta its gone, all you have the option of is to scan to library again, which does nothing because as far as the library is concerned it has every thing.

But I don't. I have a wall view of solid generic icons for artists. When I select an artist I get if I am lucky 30% album art work and the rest generic icons. And I am talking 'Dark Side Of The Moon' here. Hardly a rarity, one of the most famous and largest selling albums of all time, staying in the american 100 for a full 13 years. Not in allmusic's or lastfm's world though.

I really hope in another time, as I know no new features are coming this time that the talented boys and gals at XBMC development look seriously at the music section of XBMC, because it just seems like its 'out of fashion' and left half arsed release after release. And I really want to use XBMC for all my media.

I am off to manually find art work for 150 albums then Wink
It works perfectly here, including DSotM. Grab a Debug Log while doing a lookup on the album. Note that the "Get info for all albums" and "Get info for all artists" should still be in the context menu without problems.

Note that in general, music scraping of online sources sucks because there is no nice, open database with a good API available to us, and of the closed sources they generally have rubbish information or good information and a rubbish search (allmusic.com for instance.)

An open database for this stuff would be awesome.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

OK I worked out the menu thing, in pm3 for instance you need to be in library mode to see it.

Now in PM3 a fair amount of the artists have art work, so I guess I can assume that by not showing in say Alaska that becomes a skin issue?
Yup - if it shows in one skin and not another it's a skin issue.

Glad you got it going Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
God how do you sort the music library now?0