[Apple TV] remote control problem
Not exactly an XBMC issue, but I am having some issues with my ATV and remote and am hoping someone can help....

I have an ATV that I have loaded linux on (to run mythtv) but given all the good mojo that is XBMC decided to convert it back to normal ATV w/XBMC.

I re-imaged the disk using a copy of another ATV I have (properly working with XBMC installed), and the unit boots properly, but it does not seem to respond properly to the remote.

The LED on the front of the unit is white, and blinks when I click the remote, but the frontrow/finder does not actually do anything in response to the clicks. I have gone through the unpair procedure (and the icon to show it is unpaired appears on the screen) and I have also tried to do a factory reset (when I do menu+down it goes through the factory reset, but I cannot 'select' any language from the reset menu).

I can ssh to the unit so I know it has not crashed or anything, and it seems to be receiving signals from the remote, but not passing them through to the s/w or something.

I don't know if this is related or not, but the following appears in the dmesg output:

com_apple_IRRecovery::probe(IR Receiver)
com_apple_IRRecovery:Confusedtart(IR Receiver) <1>
com_apple_IRRecovery(0x1990c00):Confusedtart
com_apple_IRRecovery(0x1990c00):Confusedtart - This is the HID Receiver device, disable recovery
com_apple_IRRecovery(0x1990c00):Confusedtart Exiting
com_apple_IRRecovery(0x1990c00):Confusedtart - defining AppleIRRecoveryDisabled to disable IR Recovery from occurring (again)
com_apple_IRRecovery(0x1990c00):Confusedtart - Intentionally fails, because work is done in start. This frees up resources.
com_apple_IRRecovery:Confusedtart(IR Receiver) <1> failed

Thx for any help you can offer on this.
Some additional notes:

1) the dmesg output seems to be the same for my other (working ATV units) so that does not appear to be related to the remote issue

2) I tried removing the Broadcom Decoder card and the problem does not change (I did not expect it would, but just being thorough)

3) I wiped the disk and recovered the system using the process outlined by Davilla here http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/ATVBackup

4) I have paired and un-paired other remotes, but the result is the same.

It is clear to me that the ATV is responding to the remote, and the pairing/unpairing process works as documented (with the associated changed on the display) but the remote events never seem to make it to the finder/frontrow.

Anyone know of any way to monitor or otherwise monitor something on the system to see the IR events being received?
Sounds like your problem atv has not done the IR controller firmware update.
quite possible - do you know if there is any way to run that manually, or somehow get the unit into a state where it will at least respond to something? Presumably I could go back to a 2.x version and all would work? (assuming I can find a 2.x version as apple seems ot have removed them all from their servers)
Success!!!! Davilla, your comment was right on the mark and I was able to get the remote working again by flashing the IR frimware - I had to do a bit of digging to get that down without going back to an old OS image. For anyone who encounters this the fix was:

1) if you have not already, patchstick the ATV
2) ssh to the atv
3) download the IR firmware update utility: wget http://mesu.apple.com/data/IR/061-3045.2...daterTool2
4) download the firmware image: wget http://mesu.apple.com/data/IR/694-5586.2...312.irrxfw
5) run the firmware patch: ./IRReceiverUpdaterTool2 irrxfw-0x0312.irrxfw
6) if the process worked you should see this message near the end of the output: Flash Image Verification Succeeded...
7) reboot the ATV

You could also accomplish this by re-imaging with a firmware version less then 2.4 and then letting the ATV do it's requested updates

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] remote control problem0