slow loading movie thumbs
just installed the xbmc 9.11-b2 release after switching from mediaportal

all works fine apart from small problem i was hoping someone clould help with#

when i go into videos, and view my movies, the fanart and thumbs take a while to load up as if they are being downloaded from net each time

the info and cast info is always there its just the images

anyone know what im doing wrong, how can i sort it so it saves images to my hard drive to load faster?
Sounds like you have XP, a single core CPU, an ATI graphics card and the as-per-usual crappy ATI drivers for said card.

Add a file named advancedsettings.xml containing:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <sleepbeforeflip>0.85</sleepbeforeflip>
</advancedsettings>

to your userdata folder (%APPDATA%/XBMC/userdata)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Sounds like you have XP, a single core CPU, an ATI graphics card and the as-per-usual crappy ATI drivers for said card.

Add a file named advancedsettings.xml containing:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

to your userdata folder (%APPDATA%/XBMC/userdata)

Cheers,
Jonathan

Nice....I have XP and a single core (GeoForce 8400 GS Video Card) and this has been bugging the crap out of me for days. Been using XBMC for a long time and never thought to join the forum because it just worked. Glad I found the forum and the post! Thanks!
Haha, thanks for this. My old HTPC in my bedroom (exactly as you described jmarshall Laugh) has had this problem and I just came to the forum to post in hopes of finding a fix.
I'm trying to do this, how do I create an xml file?
with notepad
Thanks, fixed the issue for me also.

P4 2.0 ghz, GF FX5500 with XP
Brilliant, works great on my olde HTPC, which I recently moved to Windows XP (from Ubuntu, I am so tired of audio issues).

AMD64 single-core, 1GB RAM, nVidia GT8500
Wow, you have no idea how much you helped me with this. I was ready to call it quits after 2 weeks of trying to resolve this.
-edit- The issue seems only to be present with Mediastreem-x with the movie libary in "media preview" (the non light version). Im gonne see if i can figure out how to a bug report to them instead.
I have more or less the same problem.
Its an (ill be honest) oldish machine (1,6ghz Sempron with 2gib ram) running w7 64bit

It's loading my TV fanarts just fine, maybe a tiny bit slow but nothing i can complain or seek help about.
However my movie fanarts are extremely slow (im guessing about 2-3 mins to load). The thumb is fast enough and if i go into Movie Info to see what fanart is chosen it loads that instantly.

It's not that fanart is disabled, i tried that and get the regular background instead of the black emptiness im getting with it turned on.

sleepbeforeflip didnt seem to have any effect.

the log (even with debuggning on) shows nothing about it getting the fanart or not so its hardly relevant.

Im running Camelot release (9.11)
asg0noir Wrote:-edit- The issue seems only to be present with Mediastreem-x with the movie libary in "media preview" (the non light version). Im gonne see if i can figure out how to a bug report to them instead.
I have more or less the same problem.
Its an (ill be honest) oldish machine (1,6ghz Sempron with 2gib ram) running w7 64bit

It's loading my TV fanarts just fine, maybe a tiny bit slow but nothing i can complain or seek help about.
However my movie fanarts are extremely slow (im guessing about 2-3 mins to load). The thumb is fast enough and if i go into Movie Info to see what fanart is chosen it loads that instantly.

It's not that fanart is disabled, i tried that and get the regular background instead of the black emptiness im getting with it turned on.

sleepbeforeflip didnt seem to have any effect.

the log (even with debuggning on) shows nothing about it getting the fanart or not so its hardly relevant.

Im running Camelot release (9.11)

I would look to see what your CPU is doing if you only have a 1.6ghz Sempron its probably flat out especially if your in true full screen mode try switching to "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" it might help, come to think of it if sleepbeforeflip didn't help I guess that wont either
Thanks to JMarshall for the code to fix. Followed the instructions and ended several days of frustration.

Cheers
Wow, I know this is an old thread, but thanks so much. Fixed my problem straight away.
Wow, I had wondered if this was a fixable problem or just due to my older computer. I have XP with a single core AMD64 2.2Ghz and GeForce FX5200. Almost every thumnail list takes forever to load them sometimes when I've just been there and come back, it has to load them again. Whether it's album art, movie posters or the thumbs I've picked for game roms. I can't wait to try this when I get home. It's one of the last kinks I really wanted to work out on my xbmc. Thanks!
I already had a file with that name in my userdata so I added the code so it looks like this:

<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
<add>.html</add>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

It definitely fixed the slow-loading thumbnail problem. I even tried it again without the code so I could be sure it made a difference. I did notice that with sleepbeforeflip added, the interface seems a bit jerky. It took the smoothness out of it. I'd like to understand what this line of code is doing. If possible, is there a way to find a number besides 0.85 that will still render the thumbs quickly without sacrificing smoothness in the interface? Thanks again for such a quick and simple fix for a really annoying problem!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
slow loading movie thumbs0