Streaming movies over WAN
* Read update if you're trying something like this *

Hi everybody!
This is my first time writing here and I have to say that XBMC totally rocks. Smile
But I got a little dilemma and thought I should ask for some guidance.

I just bought a HTPC (ASRock 330HT) which works quite good. The problem I got is this:
I began with installing Windows 7 and XBMC 9.10 but my Atom couldn't play 1080p nor 720p. I tried using MPC-HC which supports hardware acceleration, but then I couldn't play from .rar-archive which is about the only thing I have, and no I won't be decompressing everything. Wink

I've now installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala and it works flawless when playing 1080p and 720p and even from .rar-archives.

Now there's another problem. I play most of my series from my server over VPN (OpenVPN) which worked really good with samba and Windows 7. But when using it in Linux it buffers every 30 seconds or something. And that kinda sucks.

So I tried using NFS with a block size of 8192 and didn't work that good either. So I tried changing the block size and are now using 256 (I believe it's k so 0,25MB per block).

It works pretty good actually, but I was wondering if someone else has had the same problem and would like to share it? Prehaps what is a "good" block size to use for streaming movies etc. I can now watch ie. The Big Bang Theory in 720p (rar-archive) over WAN with OpenVPN and it buffers about 2 times in 20min, which is one more time than when I did it with Windows 7 and SAMBA (with another i7-computer).

Prehaps this will be help someone else with the same problem, and maybe some one have already solved this problem and like to share it?

Greetings,
murmel
* Update *

I've been trying around some more, and noticed that when playing bigger files, ie. True Blood in 720p (around 1,5GB/episode), it hangs when having the block size at 256 so I change it to 8092 but added "mount -o udp ip:/path /mnt", and I believe it works great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming movies over WAN0