Intermittent Problem: Failed To Initialize Audio Device
I have XBMC (v 9.04.1) on a WinXP Home machine. XBMC is configured to display on my TV via the HDMI connection. Some AVI files play without any problems. But for other AVI files, I'll get an error message saying, "Failed to initialize audio device" but the video will play. This sounds similar to some other posts that I've seen on this forum, but the key difference is that I can get some videos play properly. On the other threads that I saw, people couldn't get any files to work properly.

I don't know if the debug logs would be of any help. I can post them if you think it's necessary.

Machine (Specs copied from Amazon):
Windows XP Home
Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H
1.6GHz Intel Atom 230 Processor
1024 MB DDR2 Memory, Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
160 GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, No Optical Drive included
Integrated NVIDIA ION LE Graphics, 6 USB 2.0 Ports, VGA & HDMI ports,

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks
When this hit me (on Win7) I needed to update the Nvidia HD Audio driver and then set XBMC to use the appropriate device. Another forum member mentioned I might have trouble with some files if I didn't set the "analog" option, so you can try that as well. Here's the link, hope this helps.
Thanks, ECEC! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, which didn't work. I switched the setting to Analog, and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help.
msk20171 Wrote:Thanks, ECEC! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, which didn't work. I switched the setting to Analog, and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help.

When I used XBMC on my XBOX1 I used to have to switch to 'Analog' mode to watch AVI files and 'Digital' mode to watch DVD rips (where the 5.1 stream was the only audio stream ripped with the DVD). However, I have had no issues since moving to XBMC for windows. I have my audio device set to HDMI now and everything works for all files.
9.11 is out, you should seriously consider updating to the newer version. some sweet new features and better layout.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermittent Problem: Failed To Initialize Audio Device0