No USB IRDA LIRC support?
I am totally confused now. I was about to purchase a USB IRDA adapter for my Revo to use with LIRC and a Logitech Harmony 880 remote. According to this LIRC doesn't support this? This can't be right. Can somebody please clarify:

http://www.lirc.org/irda.html

Thank for any clarification.

-hogfan
Yes, it's true.

IrDA is an (old) spec for infrared data connections, used by (old) mobile phones and (old) notebooks.

IrDA hardware does not support the IR signals used by remote controls.

If you just want an IR USB receiver, my advice is to search eBay for the cheapest MCE remote + USB dongle combo you can find - some can be had for $5 incl. shipping from Asia. Plug in the receiver and use the Harmony to repace the (most probably) crappy remote.

If you want to take the save route, buy an original Microsoft MCE remote or a compatible Phillips one. These are supported out of the box in XBMC.
so nobody sells USB IR dongles that look similar to flash drive. I don't want something with a long USB cable for the REVO is there not a USV mini dongle that supports IR that is low profile? Everything I have seen says IRDA on it. Thanks.
The SIIG Vista MCE Remote uses a USB dongle that's approx the size of a thumbdrive. Here's the product page:
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=CE-000022-S1

I picked mine up from a local Microcenter... the last one in the VA store, but available online at microcenter.com.

Doesn't work out of the box with XBMC, but works with the "Microsoft MCE Remote" setting in LIRC.

Programs nicely into the Logitech Harmony remotes (using the Microsoft MCE Remote setting)... tweaked the "menu" button from "DVDMenu" to "Media".

Just got mine to work with the Wake on USB function of the Revo under Ubuntu 9.10. Just need to figure out how to kill the blinking power light when the Revo is in suspend mode.

Good luck!
Why was this not asked on the LIRC mailing list? It has nothing to do with XBMC...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No USB IRDA LIRC support?0