• 1(current)
UMM (Universal Media Manager), pre-alpha testing and feedback requested!
Information 
We have a bunch of folks already signed up, but the amount of feedback and actual testing is very limited right now.

Wanna help us help you?
Run on the bleeding edge?

Come help us with UMM, from development to testing to ideas, we can sure use it.

Here's the latest pre-alpha version. And no it's not ready for general release, but some folks are hard set against signing up to get the builds. It uses a test form that is not the UI that will be bundled with the app, it's what we are using to help debug the core of the program.

Links removed, I opened up the pre-alpha forum on our team site where newer builds are available.
You'll need a forum account, but the requirement to request tester access is no longer in place.
http://www.teamumx.com

for linux and osx, install mono 2.4.2.3 (or higher)
installing mono-complete is the easiest way to install it, we have details on our forums.

Please post all feedback/questions/concerns/help requests in our forums and not here in the xbmc forums.

Thanks!
Team UMX
Can you give some more information on what exactly it's supposed to do before I run and install Mono on my system? "Media Manager" is a bit vague–XBMC already manages my media for me.
Checking it out now. Lots of bells and whistles, I've had my eye on this since the idea was first brought up. =)
paularms Wrote:Can you give some more information on what exactly it's supposed to do before I run and install Mono on my system? "Media Manager" is a bit vague–XBMC already manages my media for me.

paularms,

You can find all about what it does at the site linked in the first post. Mainly this app allows you do create and download the information XBMC (Boxee, Plex, MediaPortal) uses to fill the database. This means you can update XBMCs library offline, always have the same poster and farnart. This is nice for consistency in multiple HTPC setups.

This program functions similarly to Media Info Plus or Ember but it is Multi-OS and Multi-Media Center.

Hope that helps!
Reg
Ok i hae been playing with the test version. Feels good Wink
Remarks :

- i changed settings to fit my needs. They seem to be saved but not used by the client. Changed scraper, removed saved files but not applied when processing.
- if i choose "no nfo" or another i cant go back without reloading the database.
- May be a consequence of above problem but i cant get it to load my nfos.
- What does "ExcludeFileLevelMovies" means?
- For images does it load existing first or does it scrap everytime?
- Would be nice for the client to autoload database during start
- will we have a way of processing newly downloaded files and move them to "database" dir?
- From what i have seen, all umm data is in its own cache. Anyway to share it with xbmc? That way it would be faster, we wouldnt have doubles(i am thinking of actors thumbs).

Great job anyway
Hi Fekker !

I really love this idea. What i missed from other Media Managers are all here:

- Multi platform. This is great because people like me using xbmc or other Media Center softwares on different platforms. Eg. my Desktop PC runs Win7, but my main media-center uses Ubuntu Karmic. In the office i use Win XP. On my home-server it is Linux once again.

- Using the already written scrapers from xbmc is awesome. I am just in a process of developing a Hungarian scraper for xbmc. Which in this case will be usable in UMM i guess. This really is awesome.

I tried the Linux version with mono-complete. At first sight i have two things i noticed.

1. On my laptop where the resolution is only some 1200x720 i have some buttons in the ConfigEditor application not visible and usable. On my higher resolution desktop pc there is no such problem. i ran the util with
$ mono ummConfigEditor.exe

2. There are problem displaying the utf8 encoded Central European characters (Hungarian in my case). Maybe i have to configure mono for this ?

I will test it more and report back.

Thanks for the great work.
Also the Scraper Editor is a GREAT help for me and other scraper writers.

Cheers,

Alan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Been checking on development here on XBMC forums as well as your UMM forums weekly but documentation is really lacking. Unfortunatelly i'm not hip enough to figure out everything on my own so i've been waiting for little more user-friendly version. I work killer hours mon-fri so weekends are only days i get to play with computer.

I still wish you good luck and hope to be able to use UMM one day !!!
The Gui is not running on Mono. I have mono-complete installed and it's the minimum required version.

Code:
Basefolder: /home/bram/Desktop/umm_linux_1.0.0.497
Bounds: 600 x 395
SendMessage (69206035, 0x101f, 0x0, 0x0)
SendMessage (69206035, 0x1003, 0x3, 0x0)
SendMessage (69206035, 0x1036, 0x2000002, 0x2400002)
System.EntryPointNotFoundException: ShowWindow
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) BrightIdeasSoftware.NativeMethods:ShowWindow (intptr,int)
  at BrightIdeasSoftware.NativeMethods.ShowWithoutActivate (IWin32Window win) [0x00000]
  at BrightIdeasSoftware.GlassPanelForm..ctor () [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) BrightIdeasSoftware.GlassPanelForm:.ctor ()
  at BrightIdeasSoftware.ObjectListView.ShowOverlays () [0x00000]
  at BrightIdeasSoftware.ObjectListView.HandlePaint (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
  at BrightIdeasSoftware.ObjectListView.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000]

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: uxtheme.dll
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) BrightIdeasSoftware.NativeMethods:SetWindowTheme (intptr,string,string)
  at BrightIdeasSoftware.ObjectListView.set_UseExplorerTheme (Boolean value) [0x00000]
  at Umm.Gui.Media.ListViewMovie.styleList () [0x00000]
  at Umm.Gui.Media.ListViewMovie..ctor () [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Umm.Gui.Media.ListViewMovie:.ctor ()
  at Umm.Gui.Main.InitializeComponent () [0x00000]
  at Umm.Gui.Main..ctor () [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Umm.Gui.Main:.ctor ()
  at Umm.Gui.Program.Main () [0x00000]

The ConfigEditor does run!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
I've copied over the bugs / questions to our forums (teamumx.com)
More information and details will be provided and updated there (it's easier for the team if we have them all in the same forums)

Thanks for the feedback and comments, with your help UMM will rock!
OK fekker posted this answer in our forum but I noticed that he posted it in the board that is only accessible for signed-up testers so here it is for you guys:

since I have a few minutes, here's some details/info
Quote:1. On my laptop where the resolution is only some 1200x720 i have some buttons in the ConfigEditor application not visible and usable. On my higher resolution desktop pc there is no such problem. i ran the util with
$ mono ummConfigEditor.exe
noted, needs resized/scalable - please add defect to trac

Quote:2. There are problem displaying the utf8 encoded Central European characters (Hungarian in my case). Maybe i have to configure mono for this ?
no idea on this one - please add defect to trac

Quote:i changed settings to fit my needs. They seem to be saved but not used by the client. Changed scraper, removed saved files but not applied when processing.
- if i choose "no nfo" or another i cant go back without reloading the database.
- fixed in svn, wasn't looking to config for scraper to use (svn 498/499)

Quote:- May be a consequence of above problem but i cant get it to load my nfos.
debug log needed, should load the nfo's regardless during a scan
also what format are the nfo files in?
is this for file level or folder level nfo files?
please pastebin one of the nfo files

Quote:- What does "ExcludeFileLevelMovies" means?
some options are not available for file level movies, like movie.nfo, as it would not be unique and would be used for all media in that folder
to exclude movies that are all stored in one folder, the ExcludeFileLevelMovies should be checked (i.e. enabled, set to true)

Quote:- For images does it load existing first or does it scrap everytime?
If just scraping, no images are downloaded.
If using the auto-process option, the default is to only grab 1 image for the movie fanart and one for the poster, and use those (i.e. save them with the movie)
when clicking on available images, if the image is already downloaded, it will display the downloaded image, if it's not it'll use the preview image (if there is one) or the full sized image
(note: the remote client will actually create a thumbnail of the image, compressed and shrunk based on config settings, so that a remote client isn't downloading 30meg of images just to select one)

Quote:- Would be nice for the client to autoload database during start
The real ui will do that, the test one does not

Quote:- will we have a way of processing newly downloaded files and move them to "database" dir?
for tv shows, there's an option already in place for new episodes
for movies, there's not currently an option to do this, but it could be added as well - please add a feature request

Quote:- From what i have seen, all umm data is in its own cache. Anyway to share it with xbmc? That way it would be faster, we wouldnt have doubles(i am thinking of actors thumbs).
actor thumbs will be saved with the movie, and in turn grabbed by xbmc, forgot about this one - please add a defect, actor images are not saved with movie data
we do plan on using xbmc's api and talking with the database directly, however we have not started that process yet.

Quote:Bram77
The Gui is not running on Mono. I have mono-complete installed and it's the minimum required version.
I didn't include the .dll's that are required for that UI, so it bombs out, it's the in process gui that will be included with UMM, it's in the early stages since there's still parts of the core that are a mess (but getting better i think)
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
gui is working for my Debian amd64 install using umm_linux_1.0.0.497
Just had a very quick look at this, looks nice, full of promise!

I had a quick scrape of some tv episodes and noticed it didn't pull down episode thumbs, couldn't notice anywhere to download these and thought it might pull them automatically, did i miss something?
Is anyone else having problems registering on the forums? I haven't received the confirmation email even after going through 'forgot password' and even a different email address.

I tried emailing the admin but the email bounced straight back to me.

Where can I download the latest version of this?
What username did you choose? Please send me a PM here with the username and email address you used (of both accounts) and which one you would like to keep. I should be able to manually activate your account.

Haven't heard of any problems with the registration yet. Did you check the spam filter of your email provider?

Only thing I noticed is that it sometimes takes up to 5 minutes until you get an email notification from the board. But I guess you waited longer than that.

EDIT: OK you can wait for the confirmation email as long as you want because there is none. After migrating the whole website from joomla to wordpress and reinstalling the forum I forgot to turn the registration activation on. So you should already be able to log into your account without having to activate it. I will turn this option on now. Thanks for letting us know.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Kilack Wrote:Just had a very quick look at this, looks nice, full of promise!

I had a quick scrape of some tv episodes and noticed it didn't pull down episode thumbs, couldn't notice anywhere to download these and thought it might pull them automatically, did i miss something?

There's updated builds in the pre-alpha area of the forum, the latest build fixed the thumbnail issue with episodes. Check the untested builds for debugging, there will be an update later tonight with an OSX fix (hopefully).

The test ui for TV Shows will be updated soon to hopefully explain what each area should be doing. For both movies and tv shows, processing selected items will, when it's completed, run any processing that you have enabled.
Some options will include
- Automatically assign images for media (movie / show) (if missing)
- Scan for media information
- Check for updated episode information
- Download images (as configured)
- Update XBMC

Almost everything in UMM comes from the configuration files, if you take a look at the config.xml you'll find that there's a ton of user level options. The config editors (there will be a simple and advanced mode) will have access to all config options (as the config file itself is already too big to config the app without a UI, although if folks want, that's where the settings for everything will be).

Here's the current config files and what they are for
config.xml - the core configuration for UMM
rc.xml - the remote client configuration
advanced.xml - advanced options
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UMM (Universal Media Manager), pre-alpha testing and feedback requested!1