[Question] Possible to stream XBMC to Xbox 360 by pretending to be WMC
Hey all,

I don't post here a lot, but I had a thought recently for the hacker Guru's out there. First, how I came to the idea (which I hope hasn't been discussed elsewhere). I found a site that allowed me to replace the background of my Windows Media Center program. It showed nicely on my PC, but I was shocked that it translated over to my Xbox 360. This leads me to believe that the Xbox is basically streaming Media Center from my PC.

Is it remotely possible to hack Windows Media Center to the point that it becomes XBMC? I'm not at all familiar with WMC and it's architecture, but what if someone could fool Windows into running XBMC in place of WMC? Then this could show on the Xbox 360 when I click on Media Center?

Again, I have no knowledge of how to create this type of hack, just merely the thought process behind it. Nod

Eggdashure
I didn't read any of your post. But, NO!
Wow! Thanks for putting aside all my beliefs in anything you say! Could you maybe elaborate a little bit?
First search Wink
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=xbox+360
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the 360 uses a DLNA or UPnP client to pull that info from your MCE "server".

XBMC is not a DLNA server.

So, I think you're really stuck with the 360's interface, I believe.

The initial negative response to your post was because people routinely ask if they can get XBMC to run on the xbox 360, and there are questions everywhere about it and even stickies on why that can't happen.

Sounds like you were asking a slightly different question though.
The initial negative response, I'm sure was about INSTALLING XBMC on the 360. That's been discussed to death. The idea of using xbmc as a dlna server is kind of a neat one, but I personally don't know where you'd go to start with something like that.
See what happens when you choose a poor thread title?
Trust me, I know better than to ask about installing it on the 360, I really don't want to mess with modding my Xbox 360 and screwing with my warranty anyway. But, screwing with Media Center on my PC that I don't really use much anyway is another story.

Again, this is just a concept idea...whether or not Media Center can be hacked to that extent is questionable. Since I was able to show changes from my PC on the Xbox it does show promise!

But, as Waffa's link shows, dev's of XBMC are more interested in modding mini PC's than the 360. Sad

It's too bad this forum is so righteous that judgment is based solely on SUBJECT'S only.
Quote:I didn't read any of your post. But, NO!
Depends on the subject Wink That one is particularly sore.
XBMC already acts as a UPnP server, so this will work just fine out of the box.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm not looking to use XBMC from my PC as a UPnP server. I'm looking at changing the Media Center Extender GUI on my 360 to resemble that of XBMC. I've found instances of other people that have hacked Media Center and are applying skins so I'll stop posting here unless others would like further info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Question] Possible to stream XBMC to Xbox 360 by pretending to be WMC0