Crystal HD - Some Basic Questions
Amet Wrote:once the drivers are available there will be an easy solution for an installation, maybe something as easy as downloading it via Launcher.

Thanks Amet. Via launcher. Perfect! I look forward to trying this all out when its been dumbed down a bit for me.

davilla Wrote:Just unplug the two antenna cables and tape the wires someplace that they will not flop around and potentially short other components. It's trivial.

Yes, the AppleTV does get hot, it's designed as one big heat sink. That's normal.

Ahaaaaaa! I finally get the point of the snipping/cardboard for the two antenna cables. Thanks Davilla
Thanks for this thread Smile Answered questions I was too afraid to ask lol
Zarch Wrote:Without sounding funny, there are tons of threads about the broadcom card (with pros, cons, install instructions etc).

I'd suggest you use the search function and do some digging around the whole forum.

for example, there is this monstrous thread discussing all elements (and probably answers most of your questions)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55042

You say that, but I can't find anything on he HD card in a Mac Mini - everything is ATV focused Sad
ijhammo Wrote:You say that, but I can't find anything on he HD card in a Mac Mini - everything is ATV focused Sad

Apologies, but the guy asking the question was specifically asking about ATV, hence me directing him to that thread! Wink
Zarch Wrote:Apologies, but the guy asking the question was specifically asking about ATV, hence me directing him to that thread! Wink

No worries Big Grin

There must be someone who has installed it in a mini? Confused
ijhammo Wrote:No worries Big Grin

There must be someone who has installed it in a mini? Confused

I have, a 1.6Ghz CoreDuo MacMini is one of my dev boxes. Follow a guide to upgrade the RAM (there are many, google for them), this will disassemble the MacMini enough to access the wifi card. Remove the wifi card, insert CrystalHD card, reassemble. Done.
davilla Wrote:I have, a 1.6Ghz CoreDuo MacMini is one of my dev boxes. Follow a guide to upgrade the RAM (there are many, google for them), this will disassemble the MacMini enough to access the wifi card. Remove the wifi card, insert CrystalHD card, reassemble. Done.

Cool, Thanks Davilla.

If I have understood all the posts correctly, once the card is in I will need the kext (not yet available) and the code from the SVN Branch to support the HD card? Is that correct?

When my cards arrive i'll take some pictures of the swapping the wifi card bit for others to use.
ijhammo Wrote:Cool, Thanks Davilla.

If I have understood all the posts correctly, once the card is in I will need the kext (not yet available) and the code from the SVN Branch to support the HD card? Is that correct?

When my cards arrive i'll take some pictures of the swapping the wifi card bit for others to use.

Taking apart Mac Mini's isn't impossible, but without the correct "tools" you'll likely scratch it and mar it up a bit. Not the end of the world, but it's pretty difficult to open them cleanly.

Apple recommends using 2 modified (with one flatter edge) putty knives to pop it open. The guides should show you enough though... just be ready to scratch it up a bit Smile.
taking it apart is not the bit that worries me. I have changed the CPU and memory in one of my Mini's (and your right, getting the thing open is a PITA!)

Its what I do after the card is in and whether the performance boost is a known quantity yet.

For instance, I have a lot of 1080i material which I get XBMC to deinterlace. Is that still possible when running the HD card Huh?
hi.
i wanted to sell my aTV because of the lack showing 1080p movies within xbmc.
But if i got i right, i only have to install the "crystal" card (should i buy the BCM970012 or the BCM970015?) instead of my wifi card into my aTV, get the special drivers (where?), and after that, the aTV has enough power to view 1080p movies.
Is this correct?
I stayd so long with the apple tv because of all his features of xbmc.
and for around 20€, this would be the best option instead of getting a wdtv or the xtreamer media player.
so am i right with my assumption and is the "software" needed to view 1080p movies within xbmc allready available?
Thanks a lot
Player: Shuttle XS35GTV2 with 2GB RAM and 4GB SD-Card
Eyes: Sharp LC46D653E, Sanyo Z3
Ears: Creative Inspire 5500
Fingers: PS3, XBOX 360, WDTV-Live
Storage: TC-1TB, Acer H340 WHS-4TB
Alright... this is coming from more of an end user than a developer (I'm a developer... but not on this project).

The CrystalHD stuff isn't ready for prime time. That's not a problem, and it hasn't been sold as such by the developers, but it needs to be known. It's buggy, it crashes, it needs constant re-compiling to build in new changes, etc. It doesn't "just work" yet.

If you're one that likes that sort of thing (and don't need your ATV to work 100%) you're in for a treat. It's capabilities are very impressive and when it's done it'll do amazing things to this project (mainly because the hardware requirements will be so much cheaper).

The CrystalHD stuff should be considered more of a tinkerer's thing at this stage. Hopefully Davilla agrees with me Smile.
hi.
so if i get you right, i can stay with the apple TV and buy a "crystal" chip.
for the moment, it is a feature, not 100% working, but it will in the future.
is this the thing you tried to say?
is there a rough time estimation, when it will be ready for "daily easy use"?
Player: Shuttle XS35GTV2 with 2GB RAM and 4GB SD-Card
Eyes: Sharp LC46D653E, Sanyo Z3
Ears: Creative Inspire 5500
Fingers: PS3, XBOX 360, WDTV-Live
Storage: TC-1TB, Acer H340 WHS-4TB
The time frame is reportedly "soon". More than that we don't know.
The CrystalHD card sells in UK for £19 so I just bought one.
I will wait until the ATV drivers are ready and then give it a go.
If I am convinced I will then get a wireless bridge for the ATV
So far the only thing that I struggle playing on my ATV are MKV TvShows that have an excessive bit rate (>5000 kbits)
Considering that my TV is only 720p/1080i it could be more effective to actually re-encode the rips
interceptor121 Wrote:Considering that my TV is only 720p/1080i it could be more effective to actually re-encode the rips

Well, same here, but reencoding is a bitch Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crystal HD - Some Basic Questions0