AppleTV skin performance? (could someone make a showcase vid?)
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying an Apple TV with the Crystal HD decoder. But I was wondering what's the performance in the skins? Is it smooth? Because I know my older box works alright with Mediastream, but has some issues with skins like Aeon.

If someone could make a video showcasing the performance in any skin, though preferably Aeon, that would be great!

I'd particularly like to know how more demanding views like this one perform:

Because I know my older box with integrated video chugs horribly at skins like that. Sad

(As a side question, I'm assuming the AppleTV would run 1080p flawlessly with the Crystal HD upgrade?) Big Grin
As a standard device the ATV is clunky with most of the skins, Alaska runs about the best versus ease of use IMO, mediastream etc are not to my taste and clunky as hell. PM3 etc by its reasonably straight forward nature runs well.

I am awaiting the crystal thing and hope it will improve the menus as well as video.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Crystal HD card only improves video play back.
Yea it was more a hope than expectation.
The CrystalHD decoder will not help out with the menu's at all.
I just got one setup on my appletv.

The solution I came to for the menu issues was to actually install Ubuntu on the appletv overwriting apple's software. Then the menu's run very smooth. This approach worked for me because I never use anything on the appleTV besides xbmc. The is the only approach I know of to make the skins run smoother on the appleTV besides trying to redo a skin and make the images smaller, etc.
^ Thanks Matt, i never knew having Ubuntu increases the performance!

I have noticed the bigger your library gets, the slower navigation is... So @op, if you have a big library expect it to be slow, especially in AEON

I use Confluence as default (Vision2 as backup), and Confluence runs pretty smooth
So in essence then can one do the following:

1. Open the ATV and remove the harddrive and wireless card.
2. Insert new Crystal Card
3. Insert a blank harddrive
4. Install Linux with suitable drivers for Crystal
5. Run XBMC

Someone point me to the instructions, they need to be in English not Geekish!
matthoffman Wrote:The CrystalHD decoder will not help out with the menu's at all.

The solution I came to for the menu issues was to actually install Ubuntu on the appletv overwriting apple's software. Then the menu's run very smooth. This approach worked for me because I never use anything on the appleTV besides xbmc. The is the only approach I know of to make the skins run smoother on the appleTV besides trying to redo a skin and make the images smaller, etc.

I dont want to change the subject so I will pm you.
To get Linux on ATV:

http://dingleberry.me/2009/11/ubuntu-kar...d-decoder/
Now you see the instructions on that link, thats not for the faint of heart is it, I didn't understand 50% of that.

'5. Install karmic with sda4 = / and sda5 = swap
5.1 Remember to select sda4 as root filesystem with ext3 NOT ext4
6. Modify boot_linux.sh'

That there is geek talk to the max.
lol, im with you garyi ha

I just gave up on attempting to install it, I'm going to wait until I see a noob FAQ Big Grin I'm patient
matthoffman Wrote:The CrystalHD decoder will not help out with the menu's at all.

How much performance is really obtained? Is it really worth doing this?

-Frankie
garyi Wrote:Now you see the instructions on that link, thats not for the faint of heart is it, I didn't understand 50% of that.

'5. Install karmic with sda4 = / and sda5 = swap
5.1 Remember to select sda4 as root filesystem with ext3 NOT ext4
6. Modify boot_linux.sh'

That there is geek talk to the max.

NineT9mustang Wrote:lol, im with you garyi ha

I just gave up on attempting to install it, I'm going to wait until I see a noob FAQ Big Grin I'm patient

whats wrong with this guide?

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64634
Amet Wrote:whats wrong with this guide?

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64634

This guide looks rather straight forward to me, then again I do speak geek Laugh

-Frankie

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV skin performance? (could someone make a showcase vid?)0