New "retarded" xbmc user
Hopefully also in near future, we can get better indication of the type of remote control / game controller that is available.

As it stands now, MCE support i believe has been added to SVN but it's not clear and the wiki still mentions eventghost etc. If the intention is to be like the MCE model, for a normal MCE machine, remote is automatically configured out of the box nicely.

Would be great if users can have the options as well. There is one keymap GUI in the development thread - that could prove useful too right Smile
Mshake Wrote:Hopefully also in near future, we can get better indication of the type of remote control / game controller that is available.

See http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/mceremote_intro.html or my first stab at this. I haven't put it in the Wiki yet because it refers to a future release.

I will be writing the keymap GUI editor when I get back after Christmas.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:See http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/mceremote_intro.html or my first stab at this. I haven't put it in the Wiki yet because it refers to a future release.

I will be writing the keymap GUI editor when I get back after Christmas.

JR

Thanks jhsrennie - i tried to grab your compiled version earlier from your post but the file isn't available anymore. So looking forward to that version soon.

Keymap GUI editor would be fantastic.

For the windows version at least, it would be great if the xbox360 + other controllers can be integrated and can work when installed provided the drivers are installed in the first place? Or am I missing something. Apologies but earlier i created a thread asking something similar. Again sorry for thread hijack. But looking forward indeed to some new features for easy install.

Appreciate all the work devs and you guys do to make wiki updated. I must say the bulk of the information is here in forums anyway but it is not feasible to expect many users to come searching through multiple threads and reading updates etc to make things work. Time is really an essence for both users and also devs Smile
jmarshall Wrote:I disagree. All current options in the installer should be removed as well.

This stuff should happen on first run, not in the installer.

i.e. click on videos (with no video sources configured) -> prompt the user to add stuff.
Is this something that's planned eventually then?
jmarshall Wrote:i.e. click on videos (with no video sources configured) -> prompt the user to add stuff.

Well, that's even better :-)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

tiben20 Wrote:They really need to have their application userfriendly with the amount of "Retarted" user using their application on a daily basis Laugh

Call me a "retard" then, as I think there's no need to RTFM in order to use your media center.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I totally agree on the user prompt for video's. Some of my friends went to Microsoft Media Center (after i told them to use XBMC) because everything just works after these prompts. that's a big shame.

The second part is getting the remote to work... i'm afraid that's not easy to "wizard" with all models and config tools.
Mshake Wrote:Thanks jhsrennie - i tried to grab your compiled version earlier from your post but the file isn't available anymore.

See http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and download camelot.zip.

JR
jmarshall Wrote:i.e. click on videos (with no video sources configured) -> prompt the user to add stuff.

Maybe choose your language before that.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Ok , I used the Quick Start Guide

My library is built!

Movie titles need to have correct naming, even in subfolders or they wont be found and added to the library.
I think the library should import ALL videos in the path.
EX. I:\1 DVD Movies\How the Grinch Stole Christmas\Original Cartoon\Video_TS
It did not want to bring this in. I changed the subfolder and it did bring it in but now it thinks its the Jim Carry version.

I guess I need to go through all my movies and check the names. PITA

It takes a long time (the first time) to compile the library if you have 2T or more of movies

I would just add that the UI has a lot of slide-outs, drop-downs, or other wise “hidden” screens that are not intuitive to a new user.
After the “scroll” incident, I just would go to each screen and start dragging the mouse around and left and right clicking to see what I could find. Like looking for Easter eggs!
I’m sure if I had been a long time user of the xbox this all would have been a non-issue.

Thanks again,
Now its time to add a remote!

gif
jeepgif Wrote:Movie titles need to have correct naming, even in subfolders or they wont be found and added to the library.

You choose if they are added by file name or folder name.

Quote:I think the library should import ALL videos in the path.
EX. I:\1 DVD Movies\How the Grinch Stole Christmas\Original Cartoon\Video_TS
It did not want to bring this in. I changed the subfolder and it did bring it in but now it thinks its the Jim Carry version.
It does, based movie file extensions. You probably have a few sub folders and need to check 'scan recursively' option, so XBMC can dive into your DIR structure.

Quote:I guess I need to go through all my movies and check the names. PITA
Or you can use 'file mode view'.

Quote:After the “scroll” incident, I just would go to each screen and start dragging the mouse around and left and right clicking to see what I could find. Like looking for Easter eggs!
Friendly piece of advice is to forget about your mouse and use keyboard (enter, esc, x, i, c... ), until you get your remote working.

Quote:Now its time to add a remote!
What OS are you using?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

jeepgif Wrote:I have a new Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H
Still running XP. I loaded xbmc-9.11
That’s it.

^^
Then I unfortunately cannot help with remote.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

haha O well

The only reason for me too keep XP is so I can get to Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and other media online.

Im guessing that xbmc can do that too?
jeepgif Wrote:haha O well

The only reason for me too keep XP is so I can get to Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and other media online.

Im guessing that xbmc can do that too?

Not sure if it can do it all ATM. Check plugins section before formatting your HDD.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New "retarded" xbmc user0