Has this ever been considered?
Lightbulb 
What about making XBMC into a bootable OS? After typing this I do realize how much work would have to be put into a project like that, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this idea.
No, especially not with a dumb subject like that (seriously who do you expect to open this for consideration who has any influence?)
Have you checked out or heard about XBMC Live?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Lol
Riva Wrote:After typing this I do realize how much work would have to be put into a project like that.

I really don't think you have the slightest idea. You wouldn't have clicked submit if you did.
Riva Wrote:What about making XBMC into a bootable OS? After typing this I do realize how much work would have to be put into a project like that, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this idea.

I'd guess you're thinking of making XBMC the "operating system" for set top boxes, PVRs and the like, since PCs tend to have prefectly good operating systems already!

Anyhow, the bad news is that the work involved is much *much* greater than could be done by a team the size of ours. The good news is that no-one writes operating systems these days, they just use a modified Linux, and of course that's exactly what XBMC Live is.

Whether XBMC Live could be adapted for use on a set top box is an interesting question. I would guess that the typical Panasonic or Toshiba PVRs don't have enough CPU power or memory to run Linux, and by the time you beefed them up they would end up costing the same as a PC anyway.

I would love to have XBMC/Linux running on my Panasonic EZ28 (see http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/618263/index.html if interested). The EZ28 does the PVR functions better than any PC based system I've seen, but the filing system is rubbish and of course I can't use iPlayer or YouTube like I can on a PC with XBMC. At the moment I have to use both, but this means any programs I record have to be manually moved to XBMC. The HDI Dune (http://dune-hd.com/) looks more like the sort of thing that could potentially run XBMC Live. I don't know if anyone has looked at this ...

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has this ever been considered?0