Win 7, sharing over the network issues! Please HELP!!
Ok I'm having a hell of a time here...

Today I installed a new 1TB drive to my HP desktop then upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional. I also have an old laptop that I use with XP Pro on it, a first gen Xbox which has been hard modded and has XBMC running on it (sorry not at home at the moment and not 100% sure which build) I also have a roommate who's got a desktop running Windows Media Center as well as a gen 1 Xbox hardmodded and running XBMC same as me.

I've put together a diagram showing how my network is connected below:

As you can see above I have my desktop hardwired to a hub then a line going to the Linksys WRT54G router which is also hardwired to the roommates desktops. The Xbox 360 and other gen 1 Xbox are connected via an Xbox wireless adaptor.

My issue is this. When I had this setup before (running Vista) I simply put any media I wanted to share over the network in the "Public" folder.

Now that I've upgraded and added the 1TB drive (due to lack of space on the original drive) I cannot seem to figure out how to share my media thats now stored on the 1TB Drive!

I've tried simply sharing the entire 1TB drive but found that Win 7 wont allow you to share a 'root.' So I then created a folder on the TB drive labeled "Media" and shared that. When I did this my Laptop could see the folder named "Media" but when I opened it, only ONE of the 100+ folders were visible/accessible. The gen 1 Xbox's couldnt even connect to said "Media" folder. When in XBMC I would go to "Add new Source" and I could see the folder but it would always prompt me for a username and password.

I have gone through ALL the Network Sharing settings in Windows 7 including the Advanced Sharing Settings to ensure that I have "Sharing" enabled, without Password protection, I've ensured that all my devices are on the same domain name, and ensured that under the sharing properties that "Everyone" was selected with the User Rights enables for "Everyone" to read/write the data on the shared drive.

I dicked around with this for quite some time now and just cannot seem to figure out whats going wrong! (Sorry this is turning into more of a rant now) Anyways...anyone have any ideas for me?? I can still access anything across my network that I put into the "Public" folders that Windows has pre-setup but unfortunately that doesnt do me any good since the "Public folder" is only located on my C: drive and all my media is located on my 1TB or "E:\" drive.

Thanks in advanced for the help!!
Here's my guide to sharing on Windows 7. Feel free to say if this doesn't do the job.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63123
natethomas,

THANK YOU!!!! Unfortunately I'm not at my place this evening, so I've bookmarked this on my laptop and will be eager to get off work tommorow to give it a try. It looks like I've done ALMOST everything you dictated in your post. But there are certainly some things I have to try. Thanks again for the help, I'll post up if it doesnt solve my problem.

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win 7, sharing over the network issues! Please HELP!!0