IR receiver advice
I have an Acer Aspire Revo R1600 running XBMC 9.11 that works perfectly. The only trouble is, I'm controlling it with VNC from my laptop, which is clunky.

I have an Onkyo RC-738M remote that came with my A/V receiver - in my view I should be able to buy a sub<$10 dongle, spent five hours endlessly messing with config files, and come out with a pretty decent working solution. However, after a few days searching through endless threads on endless forums, I can't even find hardware that seems likely to work.

Can anyone recommend a simple USB IR receiver that works with most remotes and XBMC, that has a decent chance of working with my receiver remote?

I can't even work out whether LIRC supports IRDA dongles - the website says it doesn't, other pages say it does, etc.

-Nick
Try this

I just ordered one and everything I have read makes me believe it will work.
Thanks for the reply. Hm - I'd prefer something smaller, like USB key sized. Are these receivers always this size?
They can be smaller. Another option is a DIY IR receiver that plugs into the mic/line in of the sound card.

http://www.lirc.org/ir-audio.html

there are other(better) guides, but that is the one I know of off the top of my head. Check ebay for other "USB IR receiver"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR receiver advice0