recommended patches for xbmc 9.11?
Hi folks,

Since xbmc 9.11 can neither play *.avi files nor DVDs (for me) I wonder whether there is a list of recommended patches to make things work? What patches would you suggest? Is there a bugfix release in the queue?

Of course I tried a svn build, but for playing movies it gave me just a bus error. Currently I am back to beta1 to get the avi files at least.

Regards

Harri
Eh, right. We aren't going to be releasing something that doesn't playback those two things specifically. You blindly throwing patches at a problem that doesn't exist isn't going to help much either. How about you follow protocol with a bug report? Read http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_submi...Bug_Report . Don't bother creating a trac ticket until something is confirmed here. Your problem is one-off.
AFAICS both bugs have been reported and claimed to be fixed in SVN (#8026 and #8265). But this doesn't help. The version on trunk has (naturally) other problems, not to mention that building a new XBMC from source is beyond the capabilities of the average user.

What would you suggest?
He has already suggested it.

Do this to the best of your ability.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
officeboy Wrote:Do this to the best of your ability.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
These steps do apply to software bugs, but not to the release procedure. The bug reports mentioned above have already been filed, examined and fixed on svn (AFAIK). The problem I would like to see resolved is that the release procedure for fixes is incomplete, unless you suggest to wait for 10.04.
If you have a problem you would like fixed, then you can do as suggested. If you don't want it fixed then fine whine about release procedure or just do nothing.. and you can live with it...
If you think it's only possible for a single bug to cause a specific problem, I don't see how anyone could possibly respect your opinion on release procedure. Seeing as you're the only person to report this since release (at least in such piss poor detail), I'd hazard to guess PEBKAC is afoot and you've mis-configured something. If you can't be bothered to provide info when requested, your reports aren't going to be addressed.
If I file a bug report for the problems in #8026 and #8265 again, will you fix it for 9.11 or on trunk?
I think we have a misunderstanding here. I am not interested in a specific patch. I don't want to report a problem in this thread, either. I would like to have a bugfix release for 9.11, providing just the fixes you would consider to be useful. Before filing a problem report I would like to try a version with the most severe known problems fixed. A bugfix release would help everybody to avoid duplicate bug reports. The svn head cannot provide this.

The problem with the current release procedure is that bugs are "only" fixed on the svn head. Of course this helps the developers to close the bug report asap, but the bug reporter is still standing in the rain. It is highly frustrating if you report a problem and then see it fixed for a version you do not have and that is promised to be released in 3 months. You do not even have a chance to verify the fix.
I think there is a misunderstanding, you think you have found a bug. We think your computer might just acting up, or have a funny setting.

(The whole all fixes in SVN is a problem for people that only get the release packages)
I'm done with this. Good luck.
Harris,
I hear what you are saying. You want interim release versions between stables. However, those of us taking the time out to read your thread and trying to help are not able to because you're not specific enough with detailing your problem. I know you point to bugs #8026 and #8265, but are you certain those are the same issues that is plaguing you?

You can always find the various compiled builds for the various systems from this website: http://sshcs.com/xbmc/

Try running one of the SVN builds if it contain the fix you think you need. Nobody needs to wait till the next stable release. This is open source and all the resources are available for us to help ourselves.
dazex Wrote:Harris,
I hear what you are saying. You want interim release versions between stables.
Not exactly. I would like to suggest to keep bug fixes for 9.11 and new features for the next major release separate in svn (AFAP). A bugfix branch for 9.11 would do. This would help me to ignore all (maybe fragile) development code, to apply just the bug fixes and to build a more stable xbmc based upon version 9.11.
Get over it, it isn't going to happen. People have tried to help you, and you seem to think you know better, at this point you have supplied no debug details to ever point to those bugs.

If you want intermediate builds, build them from svn.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
recommended patches for xbmc 9.11?0