• 3(current)
Will the Boxee Box Remote work with XBMC (on any hardware other than the Boxee Box?)?
Just got mine in today. Every button press reboots the XBMC app on XBMC Live. I have no idea where to start.

Lets start out with apt-get upgrade.
Nothin.

Drop to command prompt, remote works perfectly. So I guess I need a keymap or something. Lamezors.

Don't feel like messing with that tonight, I'll take it with me to work tomorrow and try to generate one on a Win32 box.
Star 

So I got my Boxee Remote, and it is nice to hold, I've yet to run around the office with my sound cranked up to test the range/RF penetration so far Laugh here's what I see working on Dharma RC1:

XBMC Live (Ubuntu):
- Device works in Ubuntu correctly
- Every button simply reboots the app inside XBMC

XBMC Win32:
- Device works in Windows correctly
- All buttons work as expected in XBMC

Keymapping
As I expected, the keymappings are not perfect, as with all remotes. There is no dedicated back button on the front, which I see as a necessity for XBMC. The menu button takes you to the menu. And as I feared, the remote re-uses the same key for this button on the front as the back (IM LOOKIN' AT YOU PS3 REMOTES).

I set the menu key to ParentDir. I also frequently use the context menu, so I remapped it to the A key on the back. I prefer to suspend the machine as well, so I used Q as it was easy to find, and I never queue anything.

I've only tested this map on Win32, I'll mess with it on XBMC Live (Ubuntu) later on. I'm worried I'll have to switch that box to Win32 for a family-friendly version of Netflix Sad

%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml
$home/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <key id="61467">ParentDir</key>
      <key id="61505">ContextMenu</key>
      <key id="61521">XBMC.Suspend()</key>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Questions and Help Request
1. Any ideas on what might be up on XBMC Live (Ubuntu)? When dropping to the console, all the keys respond correctly. In the XBMC app, every key press relaunches the app. I haven't yet checked the logs as I was craving some Black Ops... I will check soon.

2. I would like to emulate the push and hold functions of the Apple Remote. From the keymap for that device it appears the the remote is what actually sends a different keycode for a longer press/hold. I guess this means the Boxee Remote cannot do this? Watching the logs, it appears XBMC only hooks on keydown, and cannot hook on keyup like other Win32 apps.
Thoughts on the design:
Ok, I get what people were complaining about for the backlight. I want one for the keyboard. I'm sure it would ruin the battery life which is prolly the whole point of this device anyway.

And I've already used the d-pad upside down more times than I know. Serious, what were you thinking Mr. Zune designer? Solution so far, finger the Boxee logo to ensure its at the bottom as I flip over or pick up the remote.
Lotsa views and no comments/suggestions?
AaronCompNetSys Wrote:Lotsa views and no comments/suggestions?

Jesus, give me a chance. Some of us have to sleep in the few hours we're not surfing the XBMC forums.

2. XBMC for Windows only processes the WM_KEYDOWN message. OK, that's not strictly true: it does handle the WM_KUP message, but just to update the keyboard state.

Incidentally the keys you've put in by ID are:

61467 0xF01B escape
61505 0xF041 A
61521 0xF051 Q

JR
Um, thanks I guess? Smile
I think what a lot of people would be interested in is what the RF receiver uses (and whether other RF receivers would work).

That would allow anyone with a boxee box to use the remote on other machines for instance.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

D-link updates for firmware and anything else across any of their range is rare to never...

They also elitistic only some countries get updates while others never do. I bet this machine will have hw revisions which the firmware is locked to.

I doubt this will be any different in this case, so Im happy to go a solution where I have full control. D-link anything Not ever again.

I like the remote though.
AaronCompNetSys Wrote:So I got my Boxee Remote, and it is nice to hold, I've yet to run around the office with my sound cranked up to test the range/RF penetration so far Laugh here's what I see working on Dharma RC1:

How did you connect the boxee remote to your pc?
He mentions RF so some RF receiver. It's unlikly it will be a CIR device just because its dlink... but I could be wrong.
Right, the remote by itself comes with a RF dongle. The host just sees it like a normal keyboard as far as I can tell.
Who cares....get yourself a Rii

i have no idea what issues with "keymappings" are on "all" remotes because all the keys on my backlit Rii just work

Seriously I hope you guys who have to have this Boxee remote get it sorted....so you can have a fully functional remote like me....well minus being backlit....lol

so mine will always be perfect

ok ok....really ...Good Luck
WE ALL WE GOT
AaronCompNetSys Wrote:Just got mine in today. Every button press reboots the XBMC app on XBMC Live. I have no idea where to start.

Drop to command prompt, remote works perfectly. So I guess I need a keymap or something. Lamezors.

Similar problems exist when using boxee under Ubunutu too:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2KI6LD8STA...&linkCode=

http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-7317
Back to Win7 and XBMC is working a charm with the remote and my keymap. The range is ridiculous, I went on the other side of the house and down a floor into the basement and it still worked.

The remote brings it out of sleep just fine, but now I'm having the sleep problem that others describe where XBMC and Boxee both crap out on resume from sleep. Prolly something to do with the video card as it actually functions, just the graphics and sound are missing.

Loaded up Boxee to try out as a front end to Netflix. Surprisingly, there are a couple places in the UI where the "Menu" button mapping on their own remote is kinda weird and you get stuck. And the Netflix app (and all the other flash based players) are just plain horrible in Boxee. After a while the whole design idea of the Boxee interface starts to make more sense with a remote with just the 2 extra buttons on front, before on PC with keyboard/mouse it seemed like a joke.

I'm going to ditch Boxee for Chrome, just resorting to keep a mouse handy to queue a movie. I'm making an AHK script now to map the remote buttons to something for when Netflix is fullscreen.

I'll also probably make a script that can be launched by hotkey that kills XBMC and Chrome before suspend, and then bring a selection menu to the front upon resume to choose to launch XBMC or Netflix via Chrome.
So here is my AHK script to remap the buttons on the Boxee remote for using Netflix inside Chrome. The idea is you use the mouse to navigate the website, and once you click "Play" or "Resume" to launch the player, the hotkeys become active. The sendclicks is to ensure the clicks are being sent to the plugin. The menu button already exits fullscreen, so that one is fine. I didn't remap the play button yet because for some reason there is a discrepancy on what I'm seeing on my laptop (WinXP) compared to the HTPC (Win7). I'll set that later. The OK button pauses it right now. The timer is a sleep mode preventer.

Code:
#NoEnv
#Persistent
SetTitleMatchMode 2

SetTimer, CheckWindowsState, % 1000*30 ; Poll every 30 seconds

CheckWindowsState:
If (WinActive("ahk_class AGFullScreenWinClass") )
;If (WinActive("ahk_class ShockwaveFlashFullScreen") )
{
   SendInput {Alt Up}
;   MsgBox Full!
}
Return

#IfWinActive Netflix Movie Viewer
enter::
Click 400, 400
Sleep 300
Send f
Sleep 300
MouseMove, 0, 100
return

#IfWinActive ahk_class AGFullScreenWinClass
left::^left
right::^right

I know this isn't really related to XBMC, but eventually I'll have a launcher for XBMC built into this script.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will the Boxee Box Remote work with XBMC (on any hardware other than the Boxee Box?)?0