Newbie - Which one to start with?
I just decided to dump my Xbox 1 and buy an Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H Desktop PC based on what I have read in this forum.

My question is where do I start?

XBMCLive 9.11 RC1 <--use this one?

HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies <--or this one?

HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes <-- or this one?

Or some combination of the three? I have no experience with Linux but I will learn.

I want to do a permanent install (not worried about what is on the HD, this will be dedicated HTPC), I am assuming that I use 9.11 RC1 but there seems to be a lot of issues with volume and other things, should I start with what is listed in the newbie guide or go with the newest release?

I am also assuming the live install is better than installing XBMC into Windows XP (which I could easily do).

Thanks in advance.
http://xbmc.org/team-xbmc/2009/12/24/xbmc-9-11-camelot/ -- RC1 is old news Smile

I haven't looked through those guides but I would suggest jumping straight in and trying it yourself first.

Simply boot off the cd and follow the installer.
Hardware decoding of media (with an nvidia gpu - vdpau) is much better supported on linux than windows in xbmc, I would certainly stick with the live cd/linux install.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

will give you everything you need.
Also once I have this installed will XBMC work essentially the same as it did on my Xbox? Specifically I mean can I still stream my media from the shared drive on my Windows 7 PC and use PlayOn to get Hulu / Netflix and use the Revision3 video plugin?
USe the live version to test first. If you have a dedicated box
i would simply boot the live usb and install to HD. Works great !

Hulu and netflix does not work in XBMC. There is however
a play-on plugin i've heard that can do this, but its not free.
Dunno much about it though. seen it mentioned in these forums.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Yes PlayOn is what I am talking about.

Just wondering if the Linux Live Install can "communicate" with PlayOn running on my Windows 7 PC as well as "communicate" with the shared movie file on my PC?? I am assuming that regardless of the platform (Xbox, PC, Linux) that they all essentially run the same??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie - Which one to start with?0