Python as a first class citizen
python is a very powerful scripting language, especialy with the xbmc modules.

unfortunatley it seems like a red headed step child. the scripts are hidden away in the script launcher, or displayed without icons under the files menu.

i think pyhton scripts would gain greater acceptance if they could be displayed under the programs menu with icons.

it would be nice if scripts were stored in the following manner:

q:\scripts\mycoolapp\
--->default.py
--->default.tbn

then displayed under the programs menu as "mycoolapp" using the thumbnail. the default.py would be the entry point if several modules exists in the directory.

thanks,
das
yeah i know what ya mean but at the same time you can change a skin by manually editing the .xml files and put the shortcuts where ever you want. for the most part it may just not make sense especially for those who do not utilize python scripts at all and python is an add-on feature that is sometimes used to perform functions away from the core xbmc applications, such as the check e-mail script, rss readers, etc. i understand where you're coming from but i doubt many skinners will put them on the home screen or wherever although i do believe the sub-menu is a perfect place for these and all.
or maybe somebody feels like writing a script launcher script? Smile
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
that's a great idea!!!

oh, wait....

:-) (blush)

maybe i should finally look at scriptionary again and actually get it working well....
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
hi alexpoet !
i'm sure you should make it working good and easier
soon you'll see my first and big script to read stream video/tv/radio on xbmc with connection on our stream database (http://xbmc-stream.gueux.be/ french powaaaa :agree: but you'll see it in english as well)

i used many 'good idea' to make my script fit as best as i can inside every tv size screens and i'm pretty proud of the result right now...

another idea to exploit for scripts, is to make a script that enabled people to choose the function of 'weather' button. easy to do :
1- i find the skin dir
2- i ask user what to do with the button (shortcut, script or meteo ....)
3- i parse the correct xml to modify it
4- i reboot
that'it !! easy no ?
i think i can do it. but not much time and tons of ideas for scripts... so if someone want to do it ... feel free !
see ya
just a heads up people.

check this out...
configurable links (i.e. shortcuts)
... it might be of some interest. its not exactly icons + easy configuration of skin, but it brings script execution to the front door (so to speak)

basically, i wanted a method of opening xbmc pages / shortcuts to operations in xbmc etc from my pronto remote.

it evolved from there & looks like we're gonna get 'shortcuts to' .py scripts.  

if it ends up how i hope, then your remote or controller will be able to directly execute scripts (similar to discrete ir codes)

just thought i'd let you know.  

ps, if you like the idea, then post a quick "me too" to show support for dogo. thanks.

later - steve.
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Python as a first class citizen0