Library File Access Slow with Camelot Live Release
I'm building a new XBMC STB using an Atom/Ion board with thumb drive only. I have a large NAS for all my media. I've been using an XBox as well as XBMC for windows for a couple of years now. This is my first foray into Ubuntu. So far, everything is working pretty well except I'm noticing extremely slow video library access when any kind of modification is done to it ("scanning new content", "remove from library", etc.). My USB is running in fast mode (2.0) and everything else runs quickly (boot up, etc.). Does anyone have any idea why mods to the video library file would be so slow?

Thanks
Well, after combing through some log files, I believe the problem is the slow nature of using a USB thumbdrive. Even though it's 2.0 (high-speed), it still causes slow response compared to harddrive equipped xbmc devices. The device boots all the way into xbmc in 40 seconds, so it's not too bad in that dept.

One of the things that's most annoying to me is the delay in showing fanart while browsing the library. I'll just have to keep working on getting my fanart files "skinny" enough that they load quickly on this new device.

If anyone has any suggestions for tuning xbmc on USB drives, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
Still seems to be something strange going on when updates are made to the library. Extremely slow and system locks up (UI froze) while library updates are made.

Anyone else noticing this with Camelot Live release?
well why dont u just install xbmc to HD ? there is a harddisk installer on the bootable live usb.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
while XBMC is working for the most part quite fine from USB-stick or SDHC card, library updates tend to be really slow, as well as e.g. compiling a kernel or doing a bigger apt-get upgrade

remember, USB thumbdrives or SDHC cards are NOT SSD drives Wink reading speeds are okay but writing is a pain in the ass
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Boxhead, I don't have a hard drive in this unit. I build a completely solid state STB-like xbmc box.

Hannes, I hear ya. Thanks for validating my thoughts on the thumbdrive performance. I'm going to look into an sata/cf card adapter and see if I can get higher performance from a makeshift SSD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library File Access Slow with Camelot Live Release0