One question about vdpau studio color conversion
So, damn its late. Anyway..

My HDMI outputs have allways been tweaked following the rec709 colourspace (the colour space for hd movies). Which have 16-235.

Im a picture whore, so i was just wondering what the color conversion does. I mean, i suspect the XBMC gui is expecting PC levels 0-255?

But then again, when i boot up transformers 2 1080p mkv file, that file uses a 16-235 scale right? So should i just leave it off, im scratching my head and thinking off why the option is there.

So to sum it up, if i have my TV tweaked to rec709, should i bother changing it, cause i read somewhere that xbmc also displays the movies in 0-255. Which is rgb levels, and all movies are/should be using 16-235.

If someone could explain, i would been very grateful

I Could allways change my input and call it PC, then the TV disables many settings, and i guess then the TV is expecting 0-255 from the source. Dunno, havnt tried yet and seen if there is any difference
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3
If you don't enable vdpau studio level conversion, vdpau will default to converting video to pc pixel values (0-255). If you do enable it, a custom matrix for colorspace conversion will be used, converting to 16-235.

Just check the effect yourself... Download the AVS HD 709 test patterns from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
Run the "Basic Settings" test patterns, it's a good pattern for setting proper black/white levels.
thanks for that Smile

although, color conversion, only works for mpeg-2, vc1 or something right? not for xvid and stuff like that

and those test patterns isnt that only for doing proper configuration of tv settings to get proper blacks etc. i already have that. Im just not seeing any difference when enabling, disabling it in xbmc and when playing a mkv
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One question about vdpau studio color conversion0