Problem - SMB Sharing with Snow Leopard
Hey All,

I am new to XBMC, but i have able to get everything installed on my AppleTV and it all appears to be working correctly. However, i do have a problem trying to connect to my Mac Pro on Snow Leopard. My problem is a bit different than the others have posted about in this forum. Here is a quick backgroup sketch.

I created a folder on my Mac Pro RAID workspace called "Movies". Then i created a new account named appletv. This account is classified as a "sharing" account (versus standard, administrator). This is a bit redundant because everyone has read only access anyways. I then went into sharing and verified Windows sharing was enabled, and checked off the appletv account. I then added the "Movies" folder to the list of shares. Now that the account, folder, and permissions are defined; I ripped National Treasure DVD using Handbrake and VLC to this folder as a M4V file. Now i should be all set up to stream this movie from my Mac Pro to my Apple TV via XBMC client.

Here's the problem, i can see the Mac Pro fine under workgroup and i can navigate the folder structure just fine, but the Movies folder is EMPTY! As are all other folders i have attempted to connect to. Same for photos and music...

This is very frustrating...am i missing something dumb here? I also tried removing the password, so that the password was NULL as someone made mention that different versions of SMB clients can have problems decoding a password with letters in it. I verified that the Movies folder is shared. I have also tried elevating folder permissions for the appleTV account. Nothing i do allows me to see the files Sad

Additionally i'd love to be able to review and/or provide the XBMC log file, but i do not know how to view/extract it via SSH...

Any help here would be great. I basically just want to use XBMC as a DVD Juke Box. We have all these DVDs laying around and i figured i would rip them all and share them via XBMC, especially since XBMC will scrape all the artwork and lay it out really nice.

Thanks in advance,

~B
That is because in XBMC you can define a WINS workgroup but no default user.
You have two possible ways around it. One is to activate guest account access and give read permissions to anyone on the mac
Failing that share the folder with AFP and mount it on Nito you will then see it in XBMC and it will work without problems
Again you need to set on the guest login on the mac
YourNameHere Wrote:Hey All,

Additionally i'd love to be able to review and/or provide the XBMC log file, but i do not know how to view/extract it via SSH...

~B

If you want a simple UI for view/extract XBMC log files you can use an application called "Fugu" http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

connect to:AppleTV.local or IP address
username:frontrow
interceptor121 Wrote:That is because in XBMC you can define a WINS workgroup but no default user.
You have two possible ways around it. One is to activate guest account access and give read permissions to anyone on the mac
Failing that share the folder with AFP and mount it on Nito you will then see it in XBMC and it will work without problems
Again you need to set on the guest login on the mac

Thanks for the reply Interceptor. I was able to get it running without having to go the guest root. It was a stupid blunder on my part in not knowing the XBMC client software. When configuring a network source, it will only ever show you folders, even if there are files in the folder. Select the folder with the files and create the source, now you can see the files...I felt so stupid after this.

Thank you as well Logan. I will keep this in mind with my next bout...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem - SMB Sharing with Snow Leopard0