Remote Question
Hello everyone. I've been a silent fan of xbmc for years now, still got my old xbox running xbmc Smile

Just made the move to a Revo 3610, via a live install to a SD card.

Must say all the guides here have always been very helpful and always solved my issues.
I have one question for anyone who can help. I have modded my original xbox DVD kit IR controller, and it works a treat on my Revo.

What I want to know is does the xbox IR receiver accept IR signals from different remotes or just the xbox box remote.

e.g. can LIRC be configured so that the xbox IR receiver accepts codes from a different remote for example a MCE remote, or do I need a MCE receiver for that.

The reason I ask is that I want to wake xbmc from sleep via my harmony one controller with a MCE profile.

Thanks in advanced Chris
Maybe someone with more knowledge will correct me...

I have not seen a ir receiver yet that did not accept virtually all ir signals. Some even pick up signals from the light in the room.

Search up on LIRC, I am pretty sure there is a command to view all signals comming in and their codes. mode2 I think will display all codes the receiver receives. irrecord will create a config file for your new remote...

You can check the lirc site, they probably have the codes already for your device. You could just add the new codes/buttons to your current config.
Loosing the will to live on this one, been reading up for hours now, just cant seem to get it working, is there a way to remap a key in xbmc. say remote key 9 on the xbox remote to power of the system.

cheers
Yup though I don't use the live version... I use the full ubuntu version.

You can easily remap keys in xbmc...

First read up on how xbmc maps actions to default supported buttons...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml#U...al_Remotes

Essentially you want to copy the default remote.xml file stored in /usr/shared/xbmc/system/keymaps to /home/<user>/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

find the commands you want to customize... yours will probably be in the global setion, as <nine></nine>. Then add your reboot command there. Be sure to delete EVERYTHING else in the customized remote.xml file. You want to keep the main section so it may look like this.

- <keymap>
- <global>
- <remote>
<nine>reboot</nine>
</remote>
</global>
</keymap>

The reason for this is XBMC checks remote.xml in your customized location first... if it doesn't find the command it then looks in the default location... If you do it this way, you can update XBMC without too much issue. If you only edit the default location, you will have to edit it every time you update. If you keep a copy of the whole file in the customized location, they may update/add commands to the default remote.xml but you would not be able to take advantage because all the commands are in your customized file which xbmc looks at first.

Also take note there are different sections <global> is the default location, though if the same button is assigned in another screen, lets say for example <videoplayer>, then it will override default. This is cool because lets say you only want to reboot from a certain screen, you could do that and in everyother screen have the button do something else...

I suggest you use 1 or 0 as your reboot button... These aren't used to access your media via 9 key alphabet...

Here is a link to all the builtin commands... just put the command inbetween the <> and </> of the button you want in the remote.xml and it will change the function. reboot is the first command...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=List_of_Built_In_Functions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Question0