• 3(current)
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work?
Currently it doesn't even play 2D bluray isos!
lloydsmart Wrote:Currently it doesn't even play 2D bluray isos!

From the 10.0 milestone:

Added native support for unencrypted Blu-ray Disc playback without menus (via libbluray)

I don't know whether libbluray works with isos though. And I don't whether this actually works at all, just don't have unencrypted discs and no isos for that matter either.
hope it works with 10.0 because getting my 3dtv tomorrow and I would hate to have to use a secondary video player for 3d movies.
SoWErA Wrote:hope it works with 10.0 because getting my 3dtv tomorrow and I would hate to have to use a secondary video player for 3d movies.

It will not work. Non on the team have a 3dtv and not even sure anyone is interested atm to support it. It might change down the road however but as of now it is not on the roadmap. You may use an external player for xbmc though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I guess this 3d hype is only usefull in a big cinema ....
Looking a movie in 3d on your own so little tv (samsung 45") sounds silly to me ...
I'm reading this thread in 3D &-) and yes I cannot see 3D sticking around myself another attempt at the 3D market that will flop! Just a touch more expensive than the last attempt Smile
I find the home 3D much more superior than what I've seen in the Cinema. First I wrote it off too after seeing Avatar, but after seeing content in my home I think there is a market - atleast in animation. I have the 63" Samsung Plasma. Lets see after Christmas where the market stand. Smile

I do think that supporting Side-by-side re-encodes of Blu-rays could be achieved "easily", which I suggested here; Trac ticket #10331. Menus and subtitles have to be rendered at half the horizontal or vertical res and done twice on each side or top and bottom. Video works fine as is but when TV is in side-by-side mode, then menu and subtitles are useless.
linuxluemmel Wrote:I guess this 3d hype is only usefull in a big cinema ....
Looking a movie in 3d on your own so little tv (samsung 45") sounds silly to me ...

Not everyone watch their movies on travel-size tv`s, even if you do.

bleze Wrote:I find the home 3D much more superior than what I've seen in the Cinema.
I agree completely.
RckStr Wrote:Not everyone watch their movies on travel-size tv`s, even if you do.

I agree completely.

IMHO 45" is to big to travel with .... ,-)
linuxluemmel Wrote:IMHO 45" is to big to travel with .... ,-)

Have you seen his laptop? Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

RckStr Wrote:Not everyone watch their movies on travel-size tv`s, even if you do.

I agree completely.

TRAVEL SIZEHuh?

if a 45 inch TV is travel size then I got screwed on my 32 inch that was advertised as a HOME TV.
Companies try and make consumers buy stuff they dont need when the economy is down..

look at CES2008, 2007 and 2006 nothing innovative in it.. and when the recession happened look at all the inventions (3D) they came up with which was hidden away..

Anyways, no one better describes 3D than Kenny Powers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd43Z_eGIv8
It's funny how the only people you hear talking crap about 3d are people that actually never tried it in a home environment. It's just like someone talking crap about this new movie that they actually never watched. A clear sign of ignorance.

Until you've seen 3D on one of the new 3D TVs in a home environment you will just sound as smart as a dumb middle school drop out trying to explain how gravity works.

I have a 3d TV, and I can tell you it's awesome. It just works.

Getting back to the topic, XBMC can already play 3D movies, side by side full 1080p 3d MKVs that is. Hope you got your answer.
bleze Wrote:I find the home 3D much more superior than what I've seen in the Cinema. First I wrote it off too after seeing Avatar, but after seeing content in my home I think there is a market - atleast in animation. I have the 63" Samsung Plasma. Lets see after Christmas where the market stand. Smile

I do think that supporting Side-by-side re-encodes of Blu-rays could be achieved "easily", which I suggested here; Trac ticket #10331. Menus and subtitles have to be rendered at half the horizontal or vertical res and done twice on each side or top and bottom. Video works fine as is but when TV is in side-by-side mode, then menu and subtitles are useless.

+1

I'm glad 3D at home is finally coming to the market, I've been expecting it for maybe 20 years, I now have my 3D tv and I think the result is great. So people who don't like this "new business", it's your right, but try to think that's not only because we are market victims that we like it Wink.

About the side-by-side (and top bottom) menus / overlays in xbmc, I'd love to see something like this coming, even certainly what I expect the most right now.
Just thought I would mention that content is starting to appear on blu-ray.

The current method of ripping these movies, seems to be in the side by side format.

As was mentioned in the previous post, side by side works really well, even on xbmc, but a powerful system would be needed for the full 3840x1080 side by side resolution.

I also have an asrock ion 330, and while the full HD is beyond the capability of this device, it manages perfectly well playing back 1920x1080. The movie can be ripped from the blu-ray, and reconstituted to left and right frames, these can then be placed together and resized to 1920x1080, giving an actual movie resolution of 960x1080.
When playing these files through my Samsung tv and selecting side-by-side 3d mode, they play fine, with the tv stretching each half to 1920. While the quality is not as good as full HD, it is still much better than DVD.

I often find that the left and right need syncing when I first play them using the zoom feature of XBMC, allowing left and right images to be alligned.
As long as the movie is in the library, xbmc remembers the settings.

Because the zoom feature zooms the whole image, it is not possible to use it to crop black bars. Ultimately it would be nice if movies could be flagged as 3d, allowing zoom and aspect controls to be used, although I can imagine this being incredibly complicated, since xbmc would have to treat a single video stream as two.

Navigating XBMC when 3d is enabled is not easy, but can be done.
Homepage for XBMC Media Companion, and XBMC-DB - seperate nfo files http://www.billyad2000.co.uk
Forums for XBMC Media Companion http://billyad2000.darkbb.com/
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work?5