TrueHD/DTS-HD Bitstream via ATI 5xxx
Hi,

Check out the ffdshow forum on doom9 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465).

One of the devs (Albain) has succeeded in bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD via the ATI 5xxx and Asus Xonar cards, without PAP! He's still ironing out the build however it's gonna be the first open source solution for HD audio bitstreaming.

Albain is the man!!!

Hopefully once Albain has completed the build, the XBMC devs can take a look at ffdshow (and maybe confer with Albain) and introduce TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming in XBMC?

Come to think of it, as mplayer is based on the ffmpeg project, they would maybe have to bring it to mplayer first i guess? As both projects are closely linked (ffdshow is based on ffmpeg codecs) hopefully it won't be long!
mplayer is not related to DVDplayer. DVDplayer is related to ffmpeg. ffdshow is related to ffmpeg.

I don't know what are the relationships between DVDplayer and ffdshow. I don't know whether stuff developed for ffdshow gets adopted in ffmpeg, for instance.
It would be odd if this was implemented in XBMC. Then we'd have to say, "If you want GPU decoding, use NVIDIA. If you want TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming, use ATI." Fun times.
Then again with the DirectX work being done (I know saying Windows to the average Dev is like cursing in church) it might just was well happen as there will be a few users out there that use AMD/ATI graphics cards in their Windows machines to get the same acceleration as the Linux users get with Nvidia cards.

I know Linux is in may ways at least as good as Windows sometimes a little better sometimes a little worse but in the end there is a Windows port for a reason and I think that even though Dev's don't generally use Windows there are a reasonable number of users who do and would not mind to see this feature show up in a build somewhere in the future.

I am not going to bother with a feature request my self as I really couldn't care less (Nvidia user at the moment) but I would say shove it on the pile and let the devs pick it up when ever they have the time to implement this...
natethomas Wrote:It would be odd if this was implemented in XBMC. Then we'd have to say, "If you want GPU decoding, use NVIDIA. If you want TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming, use ATI." Fun times.

Don't you already say the first half of that?

/TRJB
i waited so long for this, if xbmc will implement this functions, it's a big step
therealjoeblow Wrote:Don't you already say the first half of that?

/TRJB

Yes, that's why I pointed it out. Right now we invariably recommend nvidia. If this were implemented, we'd have to start saying "pick your poison." Thus, oddness.
Thanks to tiben20 for this info.

If you use his DSPlayer build of XBMC (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61355), you can change the config of what splitters/decoders are used (via the dsfilterconfig.xml file in ...\XBMC\system\players\dsplayer).

This allows you to use a separate installation of ffdshow, therefore allowing use of the lastest svn build of ffdshow (which includes Albains HD audio bitstream code)!

Cool!

They are both still in development so it's not the finished article yet however will be bloody great when completed!

Again, thanks to both tiben20 and Albain!
Hey. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any update on this? I had a look at the Doom9 thread, but it's a bit of a mega-thread, covering many topics and not just this bitstreaming particularly.

I'm more interested in the Xonar support than the ATI. I'd use onboard Nvidia 8300 graphics with bitstreaming sound over the Xonar if I could. Cool
Hey LiquidSkin76!

Do you have this working on the ATI 5450? If so, would you be able to post a small tutorial, please?

Like what FFDSHOW version and build you are using.
How you got it working in XBMC.

This would really help me out, I've got some sound working but it's choppy as hell, and video is unwatchable.

I think a few tweaks and right versions of software would greatly help.

Thanks in advance!
Big Grin
any chance this is coming? I play externally with mpc-hd currently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TrueHD/DTS-HD Bitstream via ATI 5xxx0