minimal install, Revo, nvidia driver update process?
What is the safest process to update the Nvidia driver on a minimal jaunty install with xbmc?

I currently have the 185.xx.xx driver version and have heard that I need at least 190.xx.xx to take full advantage of VDPAU.

I did not update initially because I read something about audio being broken for HDMI after 185.xx.xx. Has this issue been fixed?

Can somebody post the steps to update to the latest nvidia driver from the terminal?

I want to do this the safest way. Which repo do I need to add? Thanks

-hogfan
Ok, I've done some more reading and think I understand how to do this with the package from the nVida site.

My question now is:

Does the 190.53 certified driver for the Ion work with the IonLe as well? Under the support tab on the nVidia site it says Ion series is compatible.

However when browsing the nVidia driver download section, if i choose IonLE it doesn't return any driver results.
You should be just fine.

As far as I know, the only official difference between LE and non is that LE doesn't support Directx 10, which of course doesn't matter to us anyway.

According to actual hardware stats and usage, the difference between the two is absolutely nothing.
hogfan Wrote:Ok, I've done some more reading and think I understand how to do this with the package from the nVida site.

were you successful? if so how did you update it?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Going to try it tonight and will post results.
Well, in theory, if the nvidea PPAs have been added to your install, if you just do
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

It will update to the latest drivers.
i use manually installation of beta 195.30, until this version, VDPAU wasnt working for me on Zotac ION
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_displ...95.30.html

quick quide:
download driver
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
chmod a+x NVIDIADRIVER
./NVIDIADRIVER
answer questions
/etc/init.d/gdm start
The nVidia site mentions something about updating the xorg.conf file. Will updating the nvidia driver mess up any settings I have configured in this file (ie. disabled composite)? I have made a Clonezilla backup of my machine would rather not have to use it. Thanks.
Ok, I updated to the 195.30 beta driver successfully. The installer said it backed up my old xorg config file. Do I need to edit it now to put my tweaks back in? or did the nvidia installer retain these settings in the new config file?
afaik, any manual modifications you made to the xorg.conf will need to be made again...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
minimal install, Revo, nvidia driver update process?0