Buffering issues
I am also running xbmc live 9.11 on revo 1600. I ordered more RAM and was hoping that setting the "iGPU frame buffer size" to 512 mb in the revo bios after the upgrade would fix it. I am now concerned that the 3610 comes with the additional RAM and you are having some issue. Is your BIOS set to 512?
I had exactly the same issue (gigabit network, WHS Server, Revo 1600 - movies pausing occasionally for a couple of seconds - no issues though streaming to my Tvix 6500 media player).

My WHS had allegro NFS installed so I added NFS to my XBMC Live install. At the same time I also added some memory to the 1600 and set the video to 512Mb.

That seems to have resolved the issue (though I have only watched one movie since the change). As I changed two things though it is difficult to know which one made a difference.

I'll update later in the week and let you know if the problem has truly gone away.

Tolax
My Bios is set to 512 MB. However, when playing back from local hard drive I have no issues whatsoever so my gut feel is that this is network related rather than GPU.
nlindblo Wrote:geewhipped,

Have you tried copying down a movie to the HD of the Revo and play it back from there successfully ? If that is the case, I cant see any other option than the issue must either be in the SMB implementation or the source system the file is being retrieved/played back from not performing?

Thoughts ?

I've played movies off an external HDD (using the eSATA port) with no problems, so it's GOTTA be related to the network implementation in xbmc... also, I don't have this problem in 9.04 (which is what I'm still running until 9.11 gets a bit more mature).
also, fwiw, I have another machine running 9.11 for windows in a different room and it plays the same HD content off the same media server over the same switch with no hiccups, however that machine only has 10/100 ethernet...
For the record, I'm talking about playing 1080p .mkv files.
geewhipped Wrote:I've played movies off an external HDD (using the eSATA port) with no problems, so it's GOTTA be related to the network implementation in xbmc... also, I don't have this problem in 9.04 (which is what I'm still running until 9.11 gets a bit more mature).
also, fwiw, I have another machine running 9.11 for windows in a different room and it plays the same HD content off the same media server over the same switch with no hiccups, however that machine only has 10/100 ethernet...
For the record, I'm talking about playing 1080p .mkv files.
I have seen network/buffering issues on NMT and "low-end CPU" linux systems when using gigabit speed on the networkinterface. I would try to set the speed fixed to 100 Mbps/fullduplex and see if that improves things.
I did fix the speed to 100/Full in the Revo at an early stage of troublshooting this issue and afraid it made no difference.
nlindblo Wrote:I did fix the speed to 100/Full in the Revo at an early stage of troublshooting this issue and afraid it made no difference.
Did you also turn the autonegotiate off?
And maybe a stupid question: did you make sure the settings stay in effect after a reboot of the system?
I did indeed both switch autoneg off and validate the settings were in effect.
Then the last thing I can think of: disable IPv6?
I firmly believe that something is wrong with networking in the latest XBMC Live download on the home page.

I'm having the following issues with my 2 different XBMC Live machines (both Zotac Ionitx installed to HD):

1) Stuttering for all movies (i.e., mkv, vob, m2ts)
2) Occasional pausing and buffering on m2ts movies
3) Problems with getting weather. I have to go the weather section and hit select location several times before i am able to get the weather. After a while, (when automatically refreshing I assume) the weather disappears and I have to go change the location several times before getting the weather back.
4) Fanart downloading always fails during library updating at startup. I have to manually download fanart.
5) When manually changing thumbnails not all thumbnails show up when changing thumbnails. Quite a few in the beginning of the thumbnail list do not show. I have to exit the thumbnail section several times before all thumbnail options are downloaded.

I've been using XBMC since mid-summer and had none of the issues above until 9.11.

I also have a Core i5-750 machine running XBMC 9.11 and it works flawlessly. (And yes, it has been tested on both of the Zotac networking nodes so it does not appear to be a network or wiring problem.)

My only conclusion is that networking in XBMC Live is not quite right for some reason.

BTW, I have a gigabit network with a Linksys DIR-655. I have no other issues with my network - i.e., network transfers and other every day operations seem to be normal.
tolax Wrote:I had exactly the same issue (gigabit network, WHS Server, Revo 1600 - movies pausing occasionally for a couple of seconds - no issues though streaming to my Tvix 6500 media player).

My WHS had allegro NFS installed so I added NFS to my XBMC Live install. At the same time I also added some memory to the 1600 and set the video to 512Mb.

That seems to have resolved the issue (though I have only watched one movie since the change). As I changed two things though it is difficult to know which one made a difference.

I'll update later in the week and let you know if the problem has truly gone away.

Tolax

Nope it is still there (and remember I am using NFS). Watched an hour long x264 720P show last night and it paused once for 2-3 seconds then played happily onwards.

Not sure of the relevance of this but I also tried the killa 1080P sample last night. It shows I am pushing 41mpbs with no dropped frames (very impressive). Now the sample is only 20 seconds or so but my network (wired) certainly seems to be have more than the required capacity.

I agree that it points to the network buffering. Question is what to do about it. SMB/NFS both seem to have this issue. Maybe I will try FTP next.

Tolax
I have the same experiences streaming 1080p content from my NAS to XBMC. Attached a generic USB SATA HDD Dock drive to my REVO, shared the drive in Ubuntu so I can copy / uncompress direct to the HDD... and all my 1080p MKV have played with no issues.

Definitely seems to be a network buffering issues... too bad we don't have the option to increase network buffer. I thought that was an option in the XBOX version XBMC a few years back...

There could be an outside possiblity that it could be latency in the shared drive... My NAS is using RAID 5 which I think may not be the best for streaming media. JBOD or RAID 1 could be more effecient.
I actually dont think there is anything wrong with "the buffer". increasing the size could be a workaround but doesnt seem to have anything to the root cause.

It appears to me that everyone that has posted here have more than ample bandwith available to playback 1080p, but for some reason the connection seem to occasionally be dropped/paused/reset and and the streaming pauses when the buffer runs dry of data and hence the "buffering" message is displyed until the data stream resumes. There are obviously a number of physical factors as well as source system hardware/software/drivers involved that could affect the quality of the connection, but the number of posts on this thread makes me suspect that this could be related to the Linux network stack or possibly the way XBMC consumes/requests the data (admit I have no idea how this actually works)

Understandably it is difficult to troubleshoot this as the problem descriptions varies, no one seem to be consistantly being able to reproduce the problem (myself included) and lack of info in the debug logs.

Would be intersting to get some comments/thoughts from the senior dev team to if this could possibly related to Linux/XBMC and if there is anything we could do to try and capture some better quality data for someone to anlyse perhaps on the network (TCP/IP) or SMB layer.

Regards

Niclas
I came across this thread while researching this same issue with 9.11. I have a wired 10/100 ethernet connection and see a lot of buffering when playing MKV files. It's irritating to have playback pause every few minutes for this. My htpc is a 3.1ghz with a gigabit connection and 4g of ram, running Vista Extreme. I never experienced this problem with any previous XBMC releases.
I am impatient enough that is totally annoying me but apparently not smart enough to fix it. Has anyone fixed this? Please let me know how.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering issues0