New "Music Lyrics View" idea, got a few questions and need some development help...
Cheers spiff, for your help and patience,

ad 1.: it is still not quite clear to me how the controls declared in the skin are accessible from the cpp code, I presume by ID as defined in the xml file. But then, I noticed that the xml file is only read after the INIT message was processed by the base class, e.g. after an ActivateWindow() call. So I need to do my stuff in the OnMessage handler before the call of OnMessage() of the base class, and this somehow confused me.

ad 2.: I wonder how I can debug that, i.e. how can I know whether the control declared in the XML file is actually there (well I iterated through the group and found the ID), but is it displayed, do I have to define a background color, or setVisible(true) ...
I'll have a look what GUIDialogBoxBase offers more than GUIDialog.

Cheers,
peter
Hello,

My objective is: if some PATH/SONG.mp3|flac is being played, I wanted a dialog to pop up containing the lyrics if a PATH/SONG.txt exists, either automatically or by pressing a key such as 'l'.

In order to obtain the lyrics, I have derived a simple Python script from CU Lyrics that walks through my music collection of the (compulsory) form /artist/album/[CD ?]/SONG.mp3|flac and downloads the lyrics: http://www.wurmsdobler.org/files/getlyrics.py

The patch on http://www.wurmsdobler.org/files/lyrics.patch should in theory provide the desired functionality. However, the GUIDialogLyrics only displays the Artist/Album/title as defined in the DialogLyrics.xml file, but not the lyrics in the textbox neither the background defined in the same file.

I have tried to instantiate a GUITextBox in the code, but no success either. I can see in the log file, that the text has been successfully loaded. How can I debug this rather simple case of displaying a dialog and all its controls? I presume I am missing something conceptually.

I am looking forward to some hints as I am really stuck.

Kind regards,
peter
Any expert out there who would be willing to look into my patch (http://www.wurmsdobler.org/files/lyrics.patch), perhaps apply it and potentially find the issue in a second. It must be something trivial, a basic misunderstanding on my side. Please.
peter
Hello,

since I cannot get my CGUIDialogLyrics into displaying the lyrics (text) in its CGUITextBox using a SetText() method, I had a look through the source code, again. First, I found that there is no explicit CGUITextBox instance in the code, but I realised that ./xbmc/lib/libPython/xbmcmodule/controltextbox.cpp , the python wrapper, creates one in ControlTextBox_Create() and performs a GUI_MSG_LABEL_RESET after that.

Interestingly enough, python's ControlTextBox_SetText() method, exposed in Python as setText(), works fine in the CU Lyrics script, and appears to be sending a CGUIMessage msg(GUI_MSG_LABEL_SET,...). CGUITextBox::OnMessage() handles a GUI_MSG_LABEL_SET where it seems to set the m_info's label, in contrast to GUI_MSG_LABEL_RESET, where it appears to reset the CGUITExtLayout and then forwards the GUI_MSG_LABEL_RESET. I could not figure out what happens next.

The point I try to make is, does CGUITextBox:: SetText() was its name alludes to, or do I have to use a SetLabel() in order to set the text, or set the text and then send a GUI_MSG_LABEL_RESET ?

Still confused,
peter
Hello,

following up, it is interesting to notice that a text is being display using a message approach rather than the obvious SetText():

Code:
void CGUIDialogLyrics::ShowCurrentLyrics()
{
        :
        CGUITextBox* textBox = (CGUITextBox *)(GetControl(100));
        if (textBox)
        {
            //textBox->SetText(&lyricData[0]);//the obvious does not work!

CGUIMessage msg(GUI_MSG_LABEL_SET, GetID(), textBox->GetID());
            msg.SetLabel(&lyricData[0]);
            textBox->OnMessage(msg);
        }
        :
}

Well, at least something. Next step, how to avoid the dialog disappearing when I click on the up/down arrow.
peter
Finally I succeeded in making the GUIDialogLyrics work. For those interested a patch is available on http://www.wurmsdobler.org/files/lyrics.patch . If you checkout svn revision 27165, apply the patch and recompile, it should work.

The way it is intended to be used is that you have already lyrics as $PATH/$SONG.txt for a $PATH/SONG.mp3 (or any other format). (I have downloaded many lyrics using a script derived from CU Lyrics, http://www.wurmsdobler.org/files/getlyrics.py). When the song is playing, then I press 'l' in the MusicFileView and a dialog appears with the lyrics.

Good luck,
peter
Glad you got it working.

A couple of notes for your patch:

1. Now that your's using a LABEL_SET message, you don't need to care about what sort of control it is and can send it directly to a CGUIControl (no need for CGUITextBox). In fact, you can just use the SET_CONTROL_LABEL() macro.

2. I suspect you don't need your boolean for active - try IsActive() instead?

3. You don't need the #include in GUIWindowMusicBase (and lots of them elsewhere I suspect)

4. You don't need to set focus to the spinner - do this via the skin file. Also, you shouldn't need to handle the PAGE_CHANGE message I should think - the textbox/spinner combo should handle that for you?

5. Get rid of the tabs Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hello Jonathan,

thanks for looking at the patch. I have tried to take all your advice into account (http://www.wurmsdobler.org/files/lyrics.patch).

ad 4.: "You don't need to set focus to the spinner - do this via the skin file. "
How can I do that. I grepped a little bit through some xml files and noticed SetFocus(), and <onfocus>. Is there a focus property I can set, or do I have to call SetFocus() somewhere in the xml code, but where?

ad 5. Well, I'll grep through my patch.

peter
<defaultcontrol>id_of_spinner</defaultcontrol>

There's nothing else that is focusable in your dialog, right?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

OK, I have tried to add "<defaultcontrol>101</defaultcontrol>" in the window and then in the <controls> section, but neither did work.

jmarshall Wrote:There's nothing else that is focusable in your dialog, right?
Well, how can I tell. There is a textbox, a spincontrol, and a group containing 3 labels.
peter
Only the spinner is focusable in that case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New "Music Lyrics View" idea, got a few questions and need some development help...0