[Linux] Can updating XBMC break my Minimal-Install?
Hi everyone!

I know that updating XBMC to the latest versions can break some features within XBMC.

I have worked so hard and for such a long time on supend/resume and my remote/lirc-problems and I don't want to fuck it up (again). Almost everything was done on Ubuntu. Acpi-Settings, lirc-config, suspend-resume-scripts, editing rc.local,... I'm not sure what else I have edited over and over again.

So, would be:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

safe?
nobody can really tell you if this would be a safe route for you, especially since there could be a kernel update involved which is prone to break some manual configs

the safe way would be: if it ain't broke, don't apt-get it Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I have no problems when I do an update/upgrade with my minimal install. But when I think something can, and possibly will break a system. Then, backup is your friend...

Now, a good solution I use when backing up a full install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087

Works a treat, backs up my system and if I pooch it ... Just restore it in one hit, reboot and it's back up and working again!
@Gryph:

Thanks; it looks very promising. Smile
BTW:

Stupid Question:
I guess it would be possible to transfer my backup on another 8gb USB-Stick.
What would happen, if I take it, connect it to another computer and boot from it?

For example:
User A on this forum has a problem with his Zotac-Mainboard and Suspend/Resume. Could he use my backup of everything and use it with his problems solved?
Hannes The Hun Wrote:nobody can really tell you if this would be a safe route for you, especially since there could be a kernel update involved which is prone to break some manual configs

the safe way would be: if it ain't broke, don't apt-get it Wink

Yes but still if you want "bleeding edge" Couldn't you just do:

Code:
Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

not sure what this will do for an existing install.
Do a clonezilla backup before you do you upgrade. Then you can easily roll back if it doesn't work...
+1 for Clonezilla! Backup to am image file so you can simply restore.
I just do what terminalx posted. It updates me everytime to the latest svn without updating any OS stuff. I learned this lesson the hard way early on so I never update and then upgrade on my xbmc boxes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Can updating XBMC break my Minimal-Install?0