• 6(current)
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)
Hi, first of all thank you for this script. It seems to work like a charme here on my linux box. But unfortunately most of the blurays I own don't have the movie in title0 so is there a way to say automatically fetch the longest title rather than the first one or make the titles browsable through xbmc showing also the length of the title?
stryba Wrote:Hi, first of all thank you for this script. It seems to work like a charme here on my linux box. But unfortunately most of the blurays I own don't have the movie in title0 so is there a way to say automatically fetch the longest title rather than the first one or make the titles browsable through xbmc showing also the length of the title?

Short answer: Yes!.

In the script settings you disable the 'automatically play main feature' (or something) option. If you do that it should give you the option to browse the chapters on the blu-ray.

Settings can be accessed by browsing to the script and accessing the context menu (play on my remote or 'c' on the keyboard).
Sweet, thanks, will try this...
3choTh1s Wrote:You are the man! Didn't realize that alsa wasn't updated. Watching BluRays works great now. Seriously thanks for pointing that out. I've been ripping out my hair trying to figure it out.

Thanks alot for the ALSA update tip. Solved my issues. Now a couple of questions

1) Is Multi-Channel LPCM possible from the Blu-Ray makemkv script?
2) Is there a possibility access the menu from a BD disc? I have an issue with Black Hawk down going back to XBMC after playing Mts 0 file.

Br, M
Shank Wrote:1) Is Multi-Channel LPCM possible from the Blu-Ray makemkv script?
Whether it is possible or not has nothing to do with the script. The steams are played by XBMC's internal player. I guess it depends on your drivers/chipset and version. If you want support you're better of going to the general linux section.

Quote:2) Is there a possibility access the menu from a BD disc? I have an issue with Black Hawk down going back to XBMC after playing Mts 0 file.
Real menu access doesn't work, but there is an option to select the stream, as I mentioned a few posts up you have to change the setting so it stops automatically playing the first stream.
magnetism Wrote:Whether it is possible or not has nothing to do with the script. The steams are played by XBMC's internal player. I guess it depends on your drivers/chipset and version. If you want support you're better of going to the general linux section.

Real menu access doesn't work, but there is an option to select the stream, as I mentioned a few posts up you have to change the setting so it stops automatically playing the first stream.

Thanks! Tried another disc and Dolby Digital popped up
magnetism Wrote:I'd like to have a more reliable method for local port detection for sure, but somehow this doesn's seem like 'it' to me at the moment (Also, it's not very crossplatform...).

OK - i've had another quick session for this. The best way would be to use teh output from makemkvcon to indicate what address/port the stream is being served on.

Unfortunately, you can't take the stdout from makemkvcon when started via popen, because this won't appear until the makemkvcon process exits (aka blocking).

So, there is a python module called pexpect, which allows expect like control over processes, but also allows for real-time inspection of stdout.

So I built a quick little script that starts makemkvcon and checks stdout for a success message, then processes the output to get a URl or port number:

Code:
import subprocess, os, time, sys, urllib, urllib2, re, tempfile, pexpect

print 'starting'

process = pexpect.spawn('makemkvcon stream file:/tmp/test')
print 'process created'
output = process.expect(["Streaming server started,", "Failed to open disc", "Invalid command"])
if output == 0:
        print 'found a working stream'
        after = process.readline()
        address = []
        address = after.split()
        URL = address[4]
        print 'web server is at address: ', URL
        print 'or on port: ', URL[-5:]
        sys.exit (1)
if output == 1:
        print 'Failed to open the stream'
        sys.exit (1)
if output == 2:
        print 'Invalid command'
        sys.exit (1)

print 'done!'

This is just a proof of concept, so would need some work doing to it, plus this is only the second python script I have ever written...
Before the data loss there were many people looking for MakeMKV 1.4.11. I'd posted a link and will do so again:

MakeMKV 1.4.11
phertiker Wrote:Before the data loss there were many people looking for MakeMKV 1.4.11. I'd posted a link and will do so again:

MakeMKV 1.4.11

can you post a link to the oss-portion as well. Both are needed....

peram
peram Wrote:can you post a link to the oss-portion as well. Both are needed....

Oops. All I have is the binary.
Hmm, first post didn't make it past the dataloss either I see. I've not been here for some time, so not sure what else what was lost... Bummer.

Will try to get the first post at least back up tomorrow.
magnetism Wrote:Hmm, first post didn't make it past the dataloss either I see. I've not been here for some time, so not sure what else what was lost... Bummer.

Will try to get the first post at least back up tomorrow.

Check out google and use a cached version:
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:5A8...=firefox-a
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am updating this first post as a placeholder for the current state of development of the plugin. The original script I've now abandoned as a development platform, I'll keep the script location up for a while though until we know that the plugin is fully functional.

Ok, now for the new: I've released a version of the BluRay video plugin. Please be aware that this is still somewhat a development version. I've tested as well as I could on vista and did play a disc on Linux so I'm reasonably comfortable that it will work. However, until you've tested for your self I would urge you to keep a copy of the original script around so you can switch back to that.

If you have any feedback, suggestions or bugreports please use this thread so we can all share, thanks!

Requirements

* A working install of MakeMKV. If you're installing under Linux, make sure you install both the source and the binary package, otherwise the commandline tool won't be there. Note, there have been problems reported with using the 1.4.12 release of MakeMKV, so if you want to be safe stick with 1.4.11
* A BluRay source, either a disc or iso's or something.. (What's the point otherwise...)

Install the plugin

* Download the current version of the plugin here
* Unzip/Install the plugin in your plugin/video path to make it act as a video plugin

Use the plugin
Browse to your video plugins and if all went well with the installation a BluRay plugin should now be selectable. Enter it and play some BluRay's.. Initially there are 3 sources options and a selection to go to the plugin settings. Source options are:

* Disc, play a disc insterted into your BluRay drive (can also be a DVD if you really want to..)
* Filelocation, browse for a filelocation in your video sources and use it as a BluRay source. Selections can be either and ISO image or an index.bdmv file if the dir has been extracted. Note: Since the actual streaming of the image is delegated to the makemkvcon executable only files accessible at the filesystem level can be used. If you've used an XBMC selected samba source, iso files from this location won't work.
* Remote, you can let it connect to a remote machine with the stream setup already.

All three source options have both a 'play' and 'browse' selection. If you choose 'play' the plugin will automatically determine the longest running feature on the disc and start playback of that. Handy if the bluray has only one main feature (ie movies). If you choose 'browse' the plugin will display a selection of chapters on the disc and let's you select the one you want to play. Handy if you're looking at a series BluRay with multiple episode.
Unfortunately there is not a lot of information available on the streams when selection browse. This is because the MakeMKV streamer doesn't supply any more info unfortunately.

Explanation of the settings:
Settings are divided into three sections

* General Settings

o MakeMKV location. -> Point to your makemkvcon executable. If it is on your path the default should be fine, otherwise just browse to the correct location and select it.
o Seconds to wait for stream -> Tell the script how long it should wait for makemkv to finish parsing the disc/iso before calling it quits and exiting. Default is 2 minutes.
o Local portnumber -> If running makemkvcon locally this is the portnumber that the script will listen to. Default should be fine

* Browseable Options

o Enable disc support -> Turn on or off disc support
o Enable File location support -> Turn on or off support for browsing to ISOs and directory structures for playback
o Enable Remote location support -> Turn on or off support for streaming from a remote location

* Remote Setup
This section will only show up if you've enabled remote location support. Enter the ip address and portnumber of the remote makemkv stream location.

Changelog

0.1a

* Fixed code issue with exception handling causing real error to be 'forgotten'
* Fixed issue with logging code which preventen discs from streaming (oops, already!)

* Initial release of the plugin, based on the script code that has gone before
* Main feature selection now more 'intelligent' by selecting longest stream
* Changed settings around to make more sense by allowing source categories

===== OLD Script:

Location to get the old script: http://www.bultsblog.com/BluRay-script.zip

==== OLD first post starts here

Just a heads up that I've succeeded in playing back an original Blu Ray disk in the blu ray drive using XBMC. It's not as user friendly as is could be yet, but at least it's now possible.

Steps:
- Install MakeMKV
- Insert Blu ray
- makemkvcon stream disc:0
- Get a browser somewhere and point it to:
Code:

http://192.168.0.103:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcH...le0.m2ts;1)

Assuming of course you're xbmc is at that IP.
- Watch the movie....

You can browse the Blu Ray index by pointing to http://192.168.0.103:51000/ By the way.

Now to figure out how to pour this into a plugin somehow...

I apologise if this was already widely known, but it was new to me.
Last edited by magnetism; 2010-03-02 at 10:00. Reason: fixed URL in code
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also found the last page of posts, which might be useful too..
gracias
While I love this script/plugin, the time restrictions on the MakeMKV betas are getting to be bothersome, especially when we don't know how the new builds are going to install, or if they'll be problematic.

Does anybody know if the 1.4.11 build's time restraint is based on how long it has been installed, or whether it looks at the system's current date and uses that as its timer? If it's the former, a simple uninstall and reinstall should work. If it's the latter, then a new install of the most current version (1.5.2 currently) would be required, and I don't know how that will perform.
You can use this official beta key to avoid expiration I think, until may this year. The commercial version may launch after that ?

You might have to install the latest version to get the registration menu entry, the developer in the past has said there will continue to be a free version available but with limited features.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)15