Best Linux system?
I read alanwww1 great piece in the stickies and it got my appetite whetted!

I'm currently evaluating the various OS offerings for home media centres and have slowly circled into XBMC, but need some additional info that I cannot find. Let me describe what I am trying to acheive;

Some background:

1/ I have a good Sony TV (Bravia KDLZ5800). I want to create a home media centre based around that. It has hdmi inputs galore, vga and pc component inputs + a lan connection. I already tested nero media center as a DLNA source and that worked, not so XBMC however. :-(

2/ I am a long term Linux user, my business and home run on it.

3/ I know next to nothing about media centers, home theatre etc.

I'd like to acheive an integrated media center using XBMC running on Linux. I haven't bought a machine to run it yet. I do have a spare NVidia Quaddro FX1700 graphics card sitting around that (from what I have seen in the linux support section) will be good to use as it supports OpenGl 2.1

My question are then;

What would be a good machine to use? It only needs to run XBMC + internet browser. Alan mentions the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard. Is there a PC I can buy that has it in already - building my own PC is not where I want to be :-}

I am considering using the Western Digital MyBook 3 (USB 3, 2 TB storage) for mass storage. Is that sensible or shoudl I just use SATA drives in the PC?

What peripheral card should I be using to get best quality sound ?
How do I link up sound and video for best effect into the TV from the PC? Excuse me if I am fuzzy on this, but will hdmi give me sound and video? If so, do I not bother with the Quaddro card.

What is the best TV Card to use (accepting Satellite input for the UK). Or do I just connect a virgin/freeview box in (and how?)

Is there anything else I need to consider (sound system, other peripherals, remote control etc.)

TIA
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
check hardware topic on this forum:
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

If you need media center only (+ browser) go for something small like asrock 330 or asus revo. DVB card can be plugged in as USB stick.
sorry - your link just lead to the forum - not a topic - can you be more specific please. Many thaks
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
uomiarz Wrote:If you need media center only (+ browser) go for something small like asrock 330 or asus revo. DVB card can be plugged in as USB stick.

which asrock 330 or asus revo? there are lots.

Like I said, I'm a noob to all this. Don't mind spending 250 quid - just need to spend it properly :-)
chippyash Wrote:which asrock 330 or asus revo? there are lots.

Like I said, I'm a noob to all this. Don't mind spending 250 quid - just need to spend it properly :-)

For what it's worth, I just picked up the Acer AspireRevo AR1600 a few days ago.

See my comments here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68162

I've been very pleased with it. Seems to be handling all of my videos with no problem and very little setup.

I have not, however, tried to use a web browser with it. The "launcher" plugin with firefox would probably be the route to take, but I can't vouch for its capabilities yet.
Asrock bought and installed. Job done - now just all the tweaks requried to get it doing what I want it to do. basic functionality is great - dvds and cds both working just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Linux system?0