[AppleTV] Movies stop at about 1h 50min and won't resume
Hi there,

I'm using xmbc 9.11 on my atv, watching shared movies from my iMac over smb (wlan).

Since some time now, at least since xbmc 9.4.1, I am experiencing problems with long movies. When reaching about 1 hour 50 minutes into the movies, xbmc jumps back to menu. Resuming then won't work (though it normally works), xbmc hangs itself on trying.

Unfortunatelly that makes long movies unwatchable, since forwarding (even with 32x) takes way too long and I never tried forwarding so much...

I did not find out anything about this in the forums or the web, but would be just glad if you point out threads about it.

Thank you

Benedikt
At a guess I would say that was more an issue of where its streaming from, i.e. at around the 2hour mark your disk is going to sleep or something. If a disk is no longer reachable XBMC does have a tendency to crash, its certainly not alone where OSX is concerned.
I had exactly the same issue, streaming to XBMC over SMB from an iMac (Snow Leopard). In my case I was streaming to a Mac Mini and an Apple TV with XBMC and it left me at a loss for weeks.

I eventually noticed that it only happened with files bigger than 2GB and that the point at which the playback stopped roughly equated to the 2 GB point in the file.

In order to get round this I changed the iMac to share using AFP and I used a script on both the Mac Mini and the Apple TV to mount the iMac shares using AFP. In the case of the Apple TV I mounted them into directories within the frontrow/Movies directory structure. I have not yet been able to get this to work automatically on boot but I simply SSH into the ATV and execute the appropriate mount commands in a script - literally takes 30 seconds. I should say that it was a little bit of a pain to get AFP working on the ATV but there are guides and they do work.

In the case of the Mac Mini I simply mount the shares as you would mount any remote AFP share. I made a shortcut to them and they now appear in XBMC under the Volumes directory.

Both of these fixes had a VERY significant added bonus for me. It made 'bigstepforward' and 'bigstepback' work again with MKV files. When attempting to do this over SMB I found that jumping forward and backward in the file would not work. Using AFP it works near instantaneously.

It may not make SMB work but it is a workaround that in my case at least is better than AFP...
@garyi: yes, I am aware of the problems arising with disk sleeping, that's not that. thx anyway

@Horatio72: that sounds excactly like my problem, 2 GB propably is the case here... and since I am one of those lucky with snow leopard smb is only working from time to time (sometimes I cannot access my share at all) I guess I try the same as you.

Will give feedback, when I found the tutorials and tried it.
hmm,

@Horatio72: you don't just have a tutorial for propably? I have installed xbmc via atvusb-creator, still have atv 2.3 installed and am at a total loss about what to do to get afp running.

I have already downloaded MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.pk, but I'm not quite sure whether this is still for 2.3 or only 1.1 ...
thank you!!

unfortunatelly I'm not getting anywhere, since I am missing mount_afp. It seems Apple has removed it from its combo installers..
ok, it was to be expected: I used mount_afp I've found in Mac OS 10.6.2 /sbin-Folder =>

-bash-2.05b$ sudo mount_afp "afp://xxx:[email protected]/" /Users/frontrow/Movies/iMac
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

Don't know where to get mount_afp at the moment... ;(
finally got it running.

last point which took me time, file permissions. but as you already stated, sudo -u frontrow:

sudo -u frontrow mount_afp "afp://username:[email protected]/Movies" /Users/frontrow/Movies

thx, works very fine till now
benio42 Wrote:ok, it was to be expected: I used mount_afp I've found in Mac OS 10.6.2 /sbin-Folder =>

-bash-2.05b$ sudo mount_afp "afp://xxx:[email protected]/" /Users/frontrow/Movies/iMac
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

Don't know where to get mount_afp at the moment... ;(

google is your friend. search for appletv 1.0 dmg
Hi all

I was working through this thread - set up AFP instead of SMB shares but found I couldn't always get them to mount on startup (I serve files from an iMac to my Mac Mini via a 802.11n wireless network).

However it seems to be an issue in SMB in 10.6 with files over 2Gb, and you can make things work wonderfully (without having to worry about AFP and/or automatically mounting the shares at startup) by using this method:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?s...2135148675

Hope this helps others - it helped me tonight.

Rgds

F2008

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Movies stop at about 1h 50min and won't resume0