[LINUX] Failed to Initialize Audio Device?
I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and a Panasonic SCBT200 with optical in to the 7.1 channels.

How come when I try to use digital output in XBMC it fails, but when played with VLC, it will output DTS digital?

My settings in audio are: DIGITAL AC3 DTS enabled, default audio device, IEC passthrough, and downmix off.
Please search. This topic has been covered many, many times.
I did search I found no solutions except to put audio device as 'default' which I did and it still doesn't work.
Interestingly enough, it will work for AC3, however DTS does not work. I have the Panasonic SC-BT200 - DTS capable speakers.
Don't lie you have no idea how to fix this.

*bump*
You didn't search very hard and I have no patience for lazy, impatient users with a misplaced sense of entitlement. Good luck.
After careful searching under every rock and in every crevice I couldn't find anything. Throw me a bone. Why does AC3 work yet DTS does not?

It doesn't come up with failed to initialize audio device, it just plays with no sound. Like I said above I'm 100% positive I have DTS capable speakers and I have enabled DTS in system sound settings.

Thanks for your help.
you need to enable the downmix to stereo.
So the answer is I downmix my 7.1 to stereo? Is there anyway I can downmix to 5.1?
I tried downmix to stereo. That did not work.
Bump
bump, I'm also having this problem and extensive searching shows no solution.
I found the solution.

My panasonic bt200 home theater lied when they told me I could get DTS over optical. I can only do AC3, without buying an external receiver with HDMI in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Failed to Initialize Audio Device?0