Acer Revo AR1600 + Firefly
Before I get to my question, I'd like to contribute a little info from my latest adventures. Hopefully this can serve as a useful reference for anybody interested in purchasing the Acer AspireRevo and installing the latest (9.11) XBMC on it.

Installation Process:

-Enter the BIOS and increase the GPU memory to 256MB and also set it up to boot to the USB/flash drive (whichever you choose)
-Install XBMC Live 9.11 on a flash drive using unetbootin
-Boot to the flash drive (From here you can select the option to install to the hard drive. It will create a new partition and dual boot with the existing XP installation). That's what I did.
-Once up and running from the hard drive, I changed the Audio Playback setting to HDMI and Video render method had already defaulted to VDPAU
-If you want it to be able to wake from S3 (Suspend) with the remote, you'll need to make a modification. Get to the command line (I use CTRL-ALT-F2 to open a session, then login with your username and password).

Enter

Quote:sudo nano /etc/rc.local

This opens the script that runs every time Ubuntu boots, allowing this change to be made at each startup so you don't have to do it manually.

Scroll to the bottom of this file and add:

Quote:echo USB0>/proc/acpi/wakeup

This turns on the Wakeup capability for your remote.

Then hit 'CTRL-X' and then 'Y' to save it.

Then enter

Quote:sudo reboot

to restart the system.

That was it for the basic setup! Everything else seemed to work out of the box. 1080p playback was beautiful, including the Killa sample. All of my 1080p x264 videos played back beautifully. The sound routed through HDMI just fine. It was amazingly seamless. Not bad for $200, and it's tiny, silent, and uses a minute amount of power.

Now, here are my questions:

I also ordered a second 1GB stick of RAM because I read on here that it was necessary to achieve 1080p playback. I tested it without the RAM and it played the Killa sample without dropping any frames during playback...no stuttering or choppiness. Is this because of a newer version of XBMC or am I missing something here?

I noticed the screen resolution is something like 13##X768...is this just the GUI or are my videos playing back at that resolution? This TV is 1080p, shouldn't the resolution go all the way up to 1080?

And finally, I'm using the Snapstream Firefly remote. I used this guide to set it up. Everything works fine except that final curl script at the end of the article. If I resume from the remote the remote still stops working. If I run the inner commands on the script manually the remote will come back on, which makes me think that the script isn't executing on resume. Are there any Ubuntu gurus around here with any idea on why this might be? I'm guessing that maybe Karmic may have changed something with the resume scripts, but I can't figure it out. I did add the +x permission, I tried chowning it to my user name instead of root, then I tried CHMOD to 777. Nothing's working.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Steve
Scratch question #3. I messed around with the permissions and chowned it to root again and it magically started working. Weird.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo AR1600 + Firefly0