I am new to open source coding, how can I start developing code for XBMC?
Question 
Hey there,

I'm Andrew and I've been following this project closely for the last few years and I decided it was time to through my hat in the ring and actually contribute some code.

I come from a Java coding background so converting over to C/C++ shouldn't be too hard once I get set up etc.

Before I start I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find searching the forums.

1. I'm looking at coding on on an Ubuntu 9.04 (although I read on the sticky note that only Ubuntu 7.04 is supported so I might change) on a VirtualBox VM. Are they issues coding on a VM? Or should I man up and fix my native Ubuntu partition. Or are the better distributions to code on?

Also what IDEs do people use on Linux for C / C++? I've looked into using Eclispe with the CDT plugin. I've also seen people mention kdevelop4 as well as Vim.

2. I've looked on http://trac.xbmc.org at the feature requests but I am unsure how I assign one to myself (or is that jumping the gun? Laugh). Do I just submit a patch and reference the feature request id?

Thanks in advance people.

Andrew
1) developing on a vm works. running your results on it is another matter, dependng on your vm software it might not virtualize opengl properly. i would suggest coding on your native os, whether that is osx, windows or linux.

i use vim, which is hardly an IDE Smile it's a text-editor on stereoids. if you are used to eclipse+java i suggest you stay with eclipse. the first few weeks of vim is not for the weak-hearted (not that i'm calling you one - just that it has quite a steep learning curve).

2) just grab a feature request you like, implement it and attach the patch to the trac ticket. if you see no dev's in the cc-line/no devs have responded to the ticket i suggest you open a forum post to make us aware of the existence of the patch since it's easily missed otherwise. note that we do not automatically accept all patches if we do not like what they implement / do not think they are in line with our vision. as such, pinging us up front might be a good idea. irc is a very nice place to do this.

happy coding Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I am new to open source coding, how can I start developing code for XBMC?0