Anybody have thier htpc running on a old crt tv?
Im having trouble setting mine up. Im using the component dongle that came w/ the x800 gto. The 32" crt is working as a display, but the resolution is off and the picture quality is bad. All the icons are huge and some of the pages are not even viewable because I cant see the full page.

Ive tried changing the resolution in windows, Ive tried all the options in catalyst. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to get some sort of signal converter?
You might have better luck with s-video cable, if your tv supports it.
I haven't tried it but I dont think would could get a good picture quality on an old CRT tv from a HTPC.

Old tvs will usually display a resolution of 800X600 or at better 1024X768 but it's never a sharp image (pretty much always blurry).

I might be wrong, but that's how it was when I tried to put my computer on my TV in the past.

I use xbox console to have xbmc on my CRTs
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

I'm running a GeForce 8400 off component video on a CRT with
no real problems. The only annoyance is that I can not get
under-scanning so work under Linux, so I lose a bunch of pixels.
Otherwise, the picture looks great (running at 1080i).

It sounds as if you do not have your resolution set correctly, but
you'll have to provide more specifics about your TV, resolution,
etc. if you want more help than just "it works for me".
My tv is only SDtv. I think its only capable of 480i?

I might try the s-video cables and see if they look better than what i already have.
Use an Xbox - it was designed to plug in to CRT TV's... I tried for years to get decent pictures from PC's & Laptops to TV with no VGA/Component/HDMI etc interfaces and its never right...

Xbox with and advanced SCART pack will run rings round a PC on SD CRT....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anybody have thier htpc running on a old crt tv?0