[WINDOWS] Is there one single program that is best to rip and compress DVD-Video?
I have been using Slysofts CloneDVD2 for a while now for ripping my movies to ISO. The reason I do this is to keep the menu options and other special features of the movie, which I love. However there is the downfall of the larger ISO files instead of compressing to Divx or other formats to make the movies smaller. Usually with CloneDVD2 I get the ISO files down to about 4-6gb each and the quality is still not as great if I just put the regular dvd in. I have also used AnyDVD to just rip the full image to my hard drive and it works great... but again I have to worry about the ISO taking up 8+ gb of space. I have a 1tb drive at the moment and space is really not a big deal....(i know that sounds contradicting) I can always add another TB and be ok..

My question is... what is the best way to rip these regular old dvds to play on my 1080p setup? I havent gotten around to ripping Blueray just yet. Id like to perfect my DVD ripping before I get into the blueray thing.

Thanks for your help.
Hey,

I think I get what your asking! I used to use a Program called DVD Shrink to do this it rips DVD's to .ISO and will Rip dvd9 and compress it to dvd5 with little difference in quality.

Dvd Shrink:
http://tiny.cc/OQNQi
I have used dvd shrink for the last few years and it is great, but some one from here just turned me on to Makemkv and it has worked GREAT on my last 20 dvd's

http://www.makemkv.com/
This format is also readable in XBMC with no problems
Another option would be to recompress the movie with a something like RipBot264. This can reduce the file size substantially with little quality degradation (depending on settings). I do recommend a quad core machine as a minimum as H264 encoding is very intensive and can be time consuming. On my i7 920 @ 4.2 it takes about 30 minutes at CRF 18.

EDIT: I missed the part about keeping extras and what not. That is a catch-22. If you want to keep everything AND keep the quality, use MakeMKV, but keep in mind there is NO compression involved so an 8gb disc is about and 8gb MKV (if you keep all of the languages).
Sony 75X940C, Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 x Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 1 x Martin Logan Motion 50XT, 2 x Martin Logan Motion FX, 4 x Martin Logan Motion 4, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, Sony X800 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
Plex Server: Intel Skull Canyon NUC, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
NAS: Synology DS2415+ (5 x 10TB, 2 x 6TB, 5 x 4TB)
DVDFab : http://www.dvdfab.com/

nuff said Smile
Handbrake is my favorite. It will (usually) rip the DVD and compress it to x264 for you.
gemini77 Wrote:I have used dvd shrink for the last few years and it is great, but some one from here just turned me on to Makemkv and it has worked GREAT on my last 20 dvd's

http://www.makemkv.com/

HDD space is so cheap now its not IMHO worth compressing DVDs. The speed and ease of this tool will impress you.

FYI you will be surprised how much space you save just but cutting out all the DVD chaf.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Thumbs up for Handbrake an excellent tool to compress to mkv or mp4 file and keep the quality. Its not the fastest due to all theencoding but works like a charm.
For removing subtitles, audio-tracks etc I use http://www.makemkv.com/ which makes practically every iso format to mkv. It also reads more DVD isos than DVDshrink.
moviebuff Wrote:Thumbs up for Handbrake an excellent tool to compress to mkv or mp4 file and keep the quality. Its not the fastest due to all theencoding but works like a charm.
Another vote for Handbrake. Just started using it yesterday and it seems to work like a charm for one stop DVD > x264.

Only one question remains; is there any way to make DVD content not look like ass in 1080p? I compared Handbrake's output with the DVD itself and the DVD looked no better, but they're both pretty bad after getting accustomed to HD content.
1. Handbrake is not a "DVD Ripper"
2. It is an Encoder of different formats (the best as far as I am concerned...but I'm bias)
3. While it will encode from DVD, it will not decrypt (nor is it meant to). While you "can" attempt to encode directly from DVD YMMV.

@Juanflaco there are numerous different settings you can use to get an encode that doesn't look horrible @ 1080p upconverted. My encodes are upconverted to 1080i via the ATV and then 1080p via my PT-AE4000U (on a 110" screen)...and looks great! But this discussion seems only relevant on HB's forums.
D-tyme Wrote:1. Handbrake is not a "DVD Ripper"
2. It is an Encoder of different formats (the best as far as I am concerned...but I'm bias)
3. While it will encode from DVD, it will not decrypt (nor is it meant to). While you "can" attempt to encode directly from DVD YMMV.

@Juanflaco there are numerous different settings you can use to get an encode that doesn't look horrible @ 1080p upconverted. My encodes are upconverted to 1080i via the ATV and then 1080p via my PT-AE4000U (on a 110" screen)...and looks great! But this discussion seems only relevant on HB's forums.
Yeah, I need to get over to the HB forums for more info on encoding settings.

One clarification, & correct me if I'm wrong - I believe Handbrake *will* decrypt under Mac & Linux if you have VLC installed and point Handbrake to the install directory. On windows you can manually place libdvdcss.dll in the handbrake install directory. I tried this on a whim after reading that you couldn't just point Handbrake to the VLC install under Windows. I copied libdvdcss_2.dll from the XBMC install, renamed to libdvdcss.dll and it worked.
Juanflaco Wrote:Yeah, I need to get over to the HB forums for more info on encoding settings.

One clarification, & correct me if I'm wrong - I believe Handbrake *will* decrypt under Mac & Linux if you have VLC installed and point Handbrake to the install directory. On windows you can manually place libdvdcss.dll in the handbrake install directory. I tried this on a whim after reading that you couldn't just point Handbrake to the VLC install under Windows. I copied libdvdcss_2.dll from the XBMC install, renamed to libdvdcss.dll and it worked.

Yes...VLC will decrypt but not HB. libdedcss was removed from HB a long time ago. Now you must have VLC installed in the default location in order for a DVD to be recognized.
I'll vote for a 2 software solution -

AnyDvd to set to copy files to drive
DVD Shrink to reduce size and remove languages etc that you don't want.

I don't shrink any of my DVDs as drive space is cheap. A 1:1 copy will always be superior to a compressed copy and while I appreciate Handbrake, my choice would remain with keeping the original Movie TS folder structure or create one large VOB file which can be played sans all the menus.

- Phrehdd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Is there one single program that is best to rip and compress DVD-Video?0