acer revo + win 7 = have to use external player or broadcom chip?
i was hoping on getting the acer revo 3610 machine (ion 330 2 gig ram 160meg hd) to be a seamless media frontend + occasional internet usage/torrenting machine.

first of all, after dabbling in red hat linux in my earlier years and ubuntu a few years ago, i have no intention with going in that headache-inducing direction ever again.

my preferred environment is windows 7. i was told this machine would basically do it all for a great price/small form factor/power consumption etc.

then i do some further reading and am now discovering that i have to use a codec that costs money coupled with an external player (dsplayer or mpc-hd) whenever i want to play hd mkv etc files.

i use my iphone as a remote (i come from using plex and boxee on my macbook) which works just fine. the problem is it seems if mpc-hd is being used to play an hd file, then my remote all of a sudden becomes useless (since the video isn't controlled by xbmc anymore) and my whole experience isn't as seamless as i would like.

is this basically correct? that i have to use an external player with paid codec or buy a broadchip chip etc to play hd files on this machine within windows 7?
dsplayer doesnt need paid codecs and it can be controled via a remote just like dvdplayer. only thing is the lack of subtitles in dsplayer.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:dsplayer doesnt need paid codecs and it can be controled via a remote just like dvdplayer. only thing is the lack of subtitles in dsplayer.

you mean if i use xbmc remote app on my iphone to play an hd file via xbmc (which i guess opens up dsplayer), the app can still control dsplayer when its running then?
Yes, i'm using tiben20's builds and dsplayer works very well with my mce remote. You can select dsplayer to play HD files or set dsplayer to be your default player via advancedsettings.xml. I don't have a iphone but i guess it works like a remote.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Any reason you don't want to go with xbmc live / linux ?
I'm building a similar setup, ordered a revo and a broadcom crystal hd card, so when combining the 2, will I be able to use the internal player of xbmc to play hd content and have subtitle support?
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

bobo1on1 Wrote:Any reason you don't want to go with xbmc live / linux ?

don't want xbmc live because i want to do a little more with the htpc. i realize there are ways to install transmission daemon etc with command line stuff but honestly i am just not that into diving into that area of the computer world anymore.

and i'm just not comfortable enough with linux in general. if something goes wrong in mac/windows i would generally know how to troubleshoot things. in linux i would have absolutely no idea. not saying its not worth learning the ropes of linux, but for htpc purposes i just can't be bothered really.

i suppose i could always dual-boot but the only reason i even want to spend $300 for an htpc thats capable of other minor tasks is for the utter convenience. having to dual-boot doesn't fit into that too well. right now i am currently using my macbook with plex. i have to bring it to the hdtv room and hook it up every time i want to watch something and this is getting annoying. so i want to make sure i spend on something that will be perfect for my needs. unfortunately that means something windows 7 based for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
acer revo + win 7 = have to use external player or broadcom chip?0