[Linux] Compile custom Crystal SVN on Ubuntu Minimal vs. Live?
Hello,

First, my system is an Asus eeeBox b202, which is the Intel 945gse, 2GB RAM, Broadcom Crystal HD card (confirmed working).

I've been following atbrandt's and Davila's posts on how he compiled and installed the custom build of XBMC Linux under Ubuntu with the Crystal HD drivers. I've done this myself and everything went smooth. I want to instead run a bare-minimal Ubuntu deployment and keep the system as light and simple as possible.

I tried the [Live] deployment, but can't find or build a Crystal HD deployment for Live. My attempts at recompiling under Live didn't work as it didn't pick up the Crystal HD driver. Maybe a separate post / question on why this didn't work?

So instead, I tried to do the same thing with an Ubuntu Minimal deployment, but having trouble. Here is what I've done:

1. Install Ubuntu Minimal using the official Ubuntu minimal ISO
  2. Since the deployment does not have the GUI, this is all done from Terminal.
  3. Install Intel video drivers (xserver-xorg-video-intel)
  4. Follow atbrandt's guide to download and compile Crystal HD drivers, set up PPA sources, download and compile XBMC, and even install XBMC
  5. No errors or problems with this - everything ran the same as it did under full Ubuntu

When running XBMC, I am given the error message that XBMC requires hardware acceleration and OpenGL to run, please make sure you have proper video drivers, etc...

I've confirmed my machine has the latest Mesa drivers, the Intel video drivers seemed to go in without any issues. The Crystal card seemed to install fine as well. What am I missing? Is this not possible with Ubuntu Minimal?

Is the approach wrong? Is there actually a way to do this same thing with [Live] instead?

Thanks all!
I'm trying to build a custom iso for Asrock ION 330 Pro/HT myself. I will include the crystal hd drivers, also nvidia vdpau ones.
After(if ever.. so little time on hands Sad ) my workflow for getting the iso out of the svn is down to running a script i will post it here.

cheers!

Meanwhile you can try out theese builds:

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/

maybe it's a better starting point.
Check this one: http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-liv...sie-27338/

This livecd contains the Crystal SVN drivers
Sno Crash Wrote:Hello,

First, my system is an Asus eeeBox b202, which is the Intel 945gse, 2GB RAM, Broadcom Crystal HD card (confirmed working).

I've been following atbrandt's and Davila's posts on how he compiled and installed the custom build of XBMC Linux under Ubuntu with the Crystal HD drivers. I've done this myself and everything went smooth. I want to instead run a bare-minimal Ubuntu deployment and keep the system as light and simple as possible.

I tried the [Live] deployment, but can't find or build a Crystal HD deployment for Live. My attempts at recompiling under Live didn't work as it didn't pick up the Crystal HD driver. Maybe a separate post / question on why this didn't work?

So instead, I tried to do the same thing with an Ubuntu Minimal deployment, but having trouble. Here is what I've done:

1. Install Ubuntu Minimal using the official Ubuntu minimal ISO
  2. Since the deployment does not have the GUI, this is all done from Terminal.
  3. Install Intel video drivers (xserver-xorg-video-intel)
  4. Follow atbrandt's guide to download and compile Crystal HD drivers, set up PPA sources, download and compile XBMC, and even install XBMC
  5. No errors or problems with this - everything ran the same as it did under full Ubuntu

When running XBMC, I am given the error message that XBMC requires hardware acceleration and OpenGL to run, please make sure you have proper video drivers, etc...

I've confirmed my machine has the latest Mesa drivers, the Intel video drivers seemed to go in without any issues. The Crystal card seemed to install fine as well. What am I missing? Is this not possible with Ubuntu Minimal?

Is the approach wrong? Is there actually a way to do this same thing with [Live] instead?

Thanks all!

if you want test an minimal xbmc distro (around 50-70MB) with included crystalhd drivers and an recent xbmc-svn send an PM to me. i cannot test crystalhd because my 2 cards are defective. the istallation as an second OS (dualboot) is very easy if you have already an linux system installed (you need an booloader like grub, syslinux, extlinux and 2 partitions, one for system one for content (HOME) - boot from usb stick is also possible)
greetings, Stephan

I'd be happy enough to test this for you.
erhnam Wrote:Check this one: http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-liv...sie-27338/

This livecd contains the Crystal SVN drivers

This is great. Nod I'm going to test this out on my machine and see how it goes.

The other question I have is how the driver updates work. Let's say Broadcom releases new drivers for the device that address bugs / performance / features. If I wanted to use those drivers do I only need to recompile the drivers, or would I have to also get a release of XBMC recompiled to match?

The relationship between the two is a little muddy to me, but if I understand posts from Davilla, he seems to indicate that the XBMC release has to know how to address the new drivers, thus requiring a new compile.
Sno Crash Wrote:This is great. Nod I'm going to test this out on my machine and see how it goes.

The other question I have is how the driver updates work. Let's say Broadcom releases new drivers for the device that address bugs / performance / features. If I wanted to use those drivers do I only need to recompile the drivers, or would I have to also get a release of XBMC recompiled to match?

The relationship between the two is a little muddy to me, but if I understand posts from Davilla, he seems to indicate that the XBMC release has to know how to address the new drivers, thus requiring a new compile.

Depends on what changed, you have crystalhd driver and library, xbmc talks to the crystalhd library. If we make a crystalhd library API change, then XBMC might need to be recompiled. If we make a driver API change, then that's transparent to XBMC.

crystalhd library API is pretty stable, I don't see that changing right now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Compile custom Crystal SVN on Ubuntu Minimal vs. Live?0