Question about 1080p H.264 playback and CPU speed of high-def hardware media players?
I love my xbox and the best part of my xbox is xbmc. Best media player ever but the xbox is aging and movies are getting more and more dificult to decode using the old xbox hardware.

Why is it that most HD media players have only 300 to 400 GHz cpu's and can handle h.264 without a problem and the xbox has a 700 GHz cpu and chokes on it?

Can somebody help me understand?
uh? what makes you think those decode using the cpu (they don't). they have dedicated hardware.
Thanks for replying.

I just love xbmc and don't want to give it up. What options are there for playing hd media without re-encoding?
buy a ion box and use the search function in the forum
wow, I've never heard of this ion thing. Don't even know where to start. Thanks for laying the path out. Looks like I have some research to do.
Keypel Wrote:wow, I've never heard of this ion thing. Don't even know where to start. Thanks for laying the path out. Looks like I have some research to do.

Recommendation look for Acer Aspire Revo 1600, you can buy for $199.99 and it will decode uncompressed 1080p if you use the XBMC Live install....
I just watched this review on Revo 1600.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-as...77218.html

$200 is pretty pricey. I guess I'll just stick to re-encoding to less intensive bitrates for now.
Keypel Wrote:$200 is pretty pricey. I guess I'll just stick to re-encoding to less intensive bitrates for now.

If you mean you haven't got $200 spare at the moment then, well, me too. However $200 for the best media player out there seems pretty good value to me.

JR
$200 for a computer capable of playing 1080p is a lot? You should've been here 2 years ago. Before VDPAU, DXVA, and Crystal HD those machines cost 5x that or more.

The media streamer devices are almost all ARM based embedded devices (including the boxee box) which rely on hardware acceleration of various types to do the devoding. Those are cheap because they do not contain things like hard drives, PC CPUs, PC video cards, etc. They're more like buying a PDA than a computer.
I'm patient, I'll wait. I'm sure a few years from now, I will be able to pick it up used on eBay for dirt cheap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about 1080p H.264 playback and CPU speed of high-def hardware media players?0