[Vista]xbmc 9.11 issues - Freezes
Exclamation 
Hello,

New to xbmc for windows. built a HTPC a few years back and was running just windows media center coupled with "My Movies" App. Worked fairly well for the basic interface I wanted (watching stored movies and downloaded videos) but always had issues and was never really pleased with it all.

Found out about XBMC and This app looks very appealing and promising however I'm having some problems I can't find solutions for:

First off I have just performed a fresh install of vista and updated it to SP2, I'm using an antec fusion case with built in (but limited) IR receiver and the IMON software, and have not installed much of anything else on the system other than java, Torrent software, virus protection.

1: Program freezes constantly when trying to play a video files, typically audio starts to play from the file but screen freezes in the menu and no video is displayed and I'm forced to close XBMC through task manager. I have not installed any additional Codecs, as it was my understanding that XBMC had everything included in itself which appears to be true as I can 'sometimes' play video files in XBMC but not directly in windows with media player classic for example.

Should I download addition codecs? or is this freeze up related to something else?
[EDIT]Debug Log - Video Freeze - Had to play 4 files before it froze, forced to close via taskmanager[/Edit]

2: Movies. I've ripped the majority of my dvd collection onto hard drives, I have some that are video files but majority are in the \video_ts\ format. using library mode I'm able to play certain dvds, however others do not, clicking on the movie or selected play causes the screen to flicker and nothing happens, still able to navigate. Trying to play the file directly browsing to the VOB file results in a freeze up. (The method I ripped my moves was using dvdshrink, and typically I just stripped out the movie and not any menus to save space, brief experimentation showed that movies that were completely ripped with menus intact seem to play, but ones that I just ripped the movie do not, had no issues using My movies for WMC so I don't believe it is my library as they have worked before under different software)Avi movie files seem to play (however lead to problem 1 above).

[EDIT]Debug Log - DVD Fail -created a simple library containing one movie I know it wont play and started up xbmc then I initiated Debug log, tried to play movie, then closed application.[/EDIT]

Any ideas what could be causing my problems? I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling program, but nothing seems to help.

Any Ideas what my issues are.

Running
XBMC - Windows 9.11
Debug Log - DVD Fail
Debug Log - Video Freeze
Case - Antec Fusion Case with Imon software
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ (2.3 GHz)
RAM - 2.0 GB Ram
OS - Vista 32bit w/ SP2
Audio - HDA Xplosion by Auzentech 6.12.8.1729
Video - ATI Rageon HD 3400 - 8.681.0.0 w/ Catalyst Control Center Version 2009.0929.2222.38284
Ok,

Been playing around, trying to narrow it down.

I'm trying this with a ripped copy of Matrix Reloaded, one where I used DVD shrink to rip just the movie out with no menus(which is how I ripped the majority of my dvds)

I created a temp folder set up a library for just it, with the movie in it, started up XBMC went straight to the movie and tried to play it, screen flicker, nothing happens, Close application. Copy contents of log and reset.

Log DVD Failed to Load

Next I went and removed the IFO files in the dvd folder as looking at the log it looked like it had something to do with that. Now XBMC isn't able to identify whats in the folder using the ifo file but its a start. So I did the same routine. Start xbmc go straight to movie with no ifo file(strangely Xbmc brings it up as (1 vs 100). Movie plays, close XBMC Copy Log file.

Log DVD Plays - No IFO

There's two comparisons of it working and not working, it also seems to work for DVDs that I ripped the whole disc(menus ect) so I must have something to do with the FIO but its beyond my knowledge. Is this something I can fix? I have tons of movies I only ripped the movie out to save on wasted space of content I don't care about or need eating up disc space.

Appreciate any insight anyone could give me on this... still not sure about the crashing avi files either...

Thank You

[EDIT] Ok found a sorta solution, Using the set content option when creating a source I selected the "use Folder names for lookups" which makes it find the proper name, but still doesn't play the movie properly unless I remove the IFO files. Is there a way to prevent XBMC from using them during playback?[/EDIT]

[EDIT] Crashing seems to be fixed. Drivers for HDA Xplosion were using ones by windows and not direct from manufacturer, swear I had already installed but may have gotten reset during numerous windows updates to get the SP2.

So just the DVD problem is effecting me now...

Noticed another thing, if I just play the vob file for the matrix it shows a total runtime of 57 minutes, which I know is wrong as the movie is close to 2 hours... and I've fast forwraded to the end and the credits are there so not sure why its showing invalid time, perhaps there is something wrong with file will check with other movies to compare... and possibly watch movie to see if it is in fact an hour as illustrated or invalid time being represented

[UPDATE] Timing is bang on, just unable to predict file length I suppose, once end timer was reached it continued to count up along with play time count... odd[/UPDATE]

[\EDIT]
Update,

Still having issues with ripped DVDs. Further Experimentation I took that DVD I ripped with DVD shrink and Re-Authored The main movie out. If I put the Video_ts folder into an ISO File XBMC runs the movie no problem.

What are my options?
1. Convert everything to ISO's...big pain, lots of movies to do.
2. Figure out a way for XBMC to accept the format as is - any ideas"

If converting is my only option, what's the quickest way to convert mass amounts of ISO's?

For my test file I just used DVD shrink again and 'ripped' it into a ISO from a folder location.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Vista]xbmc 9.11 issues - Freezes0